Pre-Plan Exact Directions

I have a number of routes I would like my friend to tell me how to go and then I input the directions into TomTom and have TomTom tell me how to get there.

is there a way to pre-plan your trip and then put that into TomTom?

I have a number of routes I would like my friend to tell me how to go and then I input the directions into TomTom and have TomTom tell me how to get there.

is there a way to pre-plan your trip and then put that into TomTom?
Yes, there is a way.
It called "Itinerary Planning". You can use Tomtom unit itself or Google Maps/Houghi or Tyre tool to create the pre-defined route.

I have done itinerary before from the actual tomTom device. It took forever.

I have seen how google maps can export a map to tomtom, but I dont see an export when I have directions on the screen.

Google maps is so easy to tell it which street I want to turn down, just by dragging and droping, zooming in and out so fast. Doing it on the actual TomTom takes forever to do an itinerary?

Unless it can be done easier with the TomTom software on the computer? I have yet to install this software and actually use it.

The non-TomTom tools that "pianoCM" mentions could do the job for you.

But I'm not quite clear on exactly what you're trying to do... a friend gives you routes on how to go, and then you want TT to tell you how to get there? I'm missing something. My immediate reaction is "follow his routes!"

Anyway, there's another possibility using your computer to build up a series of POI's, move them to the TT, then just select them as Waypoints or Destinations on the TT... better than doing that on the device! There is a series of related tools listed here.

I have done itinerary before from the actual tomTom device. It took forever.

I have seen how google maps can export a map to tomtom, but I dont see an export when I have directions on the screen.

Google maps is so easy to tell it which street I want to turn down, just by dragging and droping, zooming in and out so fast. Doing it on the actual TomTom takes forever to do an itinerary?

Unless it can be done easier with the TomTom software on the computer? I have yet to install this software and actually use it.

Choose whichever option you do best and feel most comfortable with.

I drive places very rarely. I prefer back roads, easy trips, etc. I know TomTom has the quickest, shortest, bike, walk and avoid freeway options, however sometimes avoiding a freeway can put you in the middle of a busy city, or doing a walk route could send you 10 hours out of your way.

I could go into google maps and look at the route beofre I go and see an arial of the streets and determine the best route depending on lanes of traffic, rural areas, etc. Or I could have my friend tell me the best way to go. I still would like to have the actual GPS in front of me guiding me the way instead of having to write down his directions.

I suppose I could just drive alot more and get more comfortable on the freeway and large cities, however that will take a little time.

If you have the IQ routes models, the directions are extremely good. Usually as good or better than locals know. It definitely will beat anything you can judge by map arials, etc.

If you want a scenic route that's a different story, but it's very hard to beat a tomtom's directions for fastest route.

In fact, so far every time I could beat it (less than 1% of the time), it was due to one of two known IQroutes issues (uturns and <10mph congestion)

Great suggestions and accurate statements so far, but I understand the need to periodically create your own route without using your TomTom to enter the data... flex411...there is a tool to accomplish what you are asking for; its a piece of software called TYRE.

Using TYRE, you can use your computer and Google Maps to pick waypoints (based on your friend's directions), and TYRE will create a turn-by-turn Itinerary that you can then load into your TomTom for driving use. Its easy to use, and will allow you to pick your own route (your friend's), rather than using the TomTom's route.

Check it out and see if it suits your needs. :)

edit: Birdman's excellent instructions for using TYRE can be found here

Last edited:

Ask a Question