Pre 7.481 firmware wanted for 920 T

Does anybody have an earlier firmware they can send me? I updated and now the voice recognition is gone. The whole hands free activation is why I bought this model in the first place.

James

James, it is possible to have VR with the new firmware. I had the same issue. I called support and they have a fix. They had me download a "clearflash" utility which resolved the problem. You might try them first.

Sidney

I received an email from TT tech support. I'm at work right now so I haven't tried it yet.

"Response (ST Sierra) 05/01/2008 10:47 AM
Dear James ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding this error with your TomTom. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

I understand that this must be frustrating for you, and hope that we can answer all your questions today.

The error that you describe sounds like an error with the application on the TomTom. To solve this we will want to replace the application with a different version. To do so please follow the steps below.

1. To uninstall the application

- Connect the TomTom to the computer and turn on

- Allow HOME to open. When the updates window opens we want to go back so that we are at the main menu

-From the Main menu select the Remove Items option

-We want to select ONLY the program application from the list of items

- Than select to remove

-The application should now be deleted

2. To reinstall the application

-First we will want to disconnect the TomTom from the computer

-Close the HOME program

-Perform a soft reset www.tomtom.com/7134

-Connect the TomTom back to the computer and turn on

-Again allow HOME to open and search for updates

-This time when the update window opens there should now be a program application listed there

- We will want to select that application and choose to update and install

-Once the application has finished, safely disconnect the TomTom

-Perform the soft reset again www.tomtom.com/7134"

James

I received an email from TT tech support. I'm at work right now so I haven't tried it yet.

Don't do it. Back it up, grab version 7.221 from http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/ and extract to the ASR directory on your TomTom (overwrite the existing files, don't delete anything manually). I admit I haven't tried doing soft resets both before and after installing the latest version (7.481), but enough people besides me have reported problems with 7.481 that I won't try upgrading again until the next firmware update. All of your favorites and settings should be preserved, but if something goes wrong, that's why you have your backup, right? :)

actually it needs to be extracted to the root directory of your unit. The old 7.221 firmware files need to replace the current 7.481 files and then reboot the unit.

"Response (ST Sierra) 05/01/2008 10:47 AM
Dear James ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding this error with your TomTom. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

I understand that this must be frustrating for you, and hope that we can answer all your questions today.

The error that you describe sounds like an error with the application on the TomTom. To solve this we will want to replace the application with a different version. To do so please follow the steps below.

- Allow HOME to open. When the updates window opens we want to go back so that we are at the main menu

- Than select to remove

-Close the HOME program

-This time when the update window opens there should now be a program application listed there

James

:happydance:Following those instructions worked to give me back VR :happydance:

:D

Thanks for this info

I just received my new TT920 today and went to TT Home and got the updates just as they told me to do. Of course I experienced the problem you are all describing with the loss of voice commands. Thank goodness I found your post so I could get back to 7.221

All is working well again. I am a bit surprised that TT would allow this buggy version to be out there for their new customers to get. It doesn't make a very good first impression. :confused:

As I previously mentioned,I had lost my VR,but using the instructions that were posted in this thread I was able to re-enable it whilst still running version 7.481.So I know it is possible to have VR with the newest software.

I had what I think is a similar problem. I got 920T just last week but of course, have been loading 3rd party POIs and menu organizers etc. At some point I noticed that the voice recognition was not working. It was available in that there was an active icon that brought up the coprrect screens. The little sound bar in the upper right corner...but it would hear nothing of what I said...no movement on the volume bar/graph.

I followed these instructions:

- Than select to remove

-Close the HOME program

This restored the VR function completely,

John

Ask a Question