Powers down after 3 minutes

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
Sometimes I like to have the TT on without a destination programmed in. When I do this the TT shuts down after about 3 minutes. ??? There is a menu 'Battery saving preferences' where you can select 'Never turn off screen'. Can this be done while connected to power?

Sometimes I like to have the TT on without a destination programmed in. When I do this the TT shuts down after about 3 minutes. ??? There is a menu 'Battery saving preferences' where you can select 'Never turn off screen'. Can this be done while connected to power?

Yep. Preferences can be altered whether the unit is on battery or on power.

This happened to me again last night on the way home from Baylor Dallas Hospital while in the navigation mode. About every 3 minutes a warning would pop up saying that the unit would power down in 6 seconds. I would push the button to cancel the power down, and then 3 minutes later the warning would pop up again.

This happened to me again last night on the way home from Baylor Dallas Hospital while in the navigation mode. About every 3 minutes a warning would pop up saying that the unit would power down in 6 seconds. I would push the button to cancel the power down, and then 3 minutes later the warning would pop up again.

Try a reset with a paperclip.

All, just to clear up some stuff on this one and I could be wrong BUT.

I bought a tomtom 720 and I had this issue. I took it back and got a new one and it does not do it, HOWEVER, after reading this thing several times I have learned some stuff that is interesting.

Download the documentation for your device at
http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...D=3&Language=4

Goto page 4 before you begin section

Here is the snip
=====
Battery notes
We recommend that you fully charge your TomTom GO the first time that you
connect it to the home dock. It takes up to 2 hours to charge the battery
completely.
When you place your GO in the Home Dock, you are asked if you wish to
connect to the computer. If you select No, the device will switch off if you do
not tap the screen for three minutes. This happens so that the battery can
recharge at a faster rate.
For information on connecting your computer, see Using TomTom HOME
(89).
====

So here is what I think the issue is and possible ways to correct it if you can't trade it in for a new one that does not have this behavior

1. When you plug it in to your car and it asks you if you want to connect to the computer say YES.. (that should prevent the every three minute shutdown trigger)
2. Turn on your tomtom first then plug it in to the cig lighter. that way it won't ask you if you want to connect to the computer and it should not shut down either
3. Take it back and get a new one that does not behave this way.

I did not try my solutions because I already took mine back and got the new one, but as I was reading the documentation the other day I saw that and realized what had been happening.

Let me know if items 1 or 2 helped you out.

J

For some reason my old and your current devices that are doing this for some reason see that the cig lighter connection is in fact a PC connection and this is the issue, and when you say no instead of yes it triggers the 3 minute shut down "feature"
Report Post Edit/Delete Message

I called tech support and here's what they say:

1. Because I also get the "Do you want to connect to the computer" message when I turn it on when I am connected with the CLA (cigarette lighter acc) tech support believes the problem to be with the CLA. They will ship me a new CLA and I'll try it.

2. Also, Home version 2.2 was released 2 days ago.

Ask a Question