power supply

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005 App12.055.1124410.74 Map Europe 885.4007
I noticed on another posting a comment about using non tomtom power supplies as the voltage supplied is only 5 volts. My car is a Hyundai I30 with a usb socket. I s it OK to plug my 540live into this port.

Considering the complexities of mapping, junctions etc is is surely more surprising how well out gps units work.

Things have got a lot easier since TomTom's (and everything else!) started using mini and micro USB connectors for power.

In the old days, the same DC power plugs got used for all sorts of different voltages.

But ANY usb socket will only supply 5V as that is part of the USB specification, so yours will be safe to power the TomTom.

The only remaining issue is how much current an outlet is capable of supplying, which has an effect on how fast the battery will get charged.

Oh... and I wholeheartedly agree with your final comment. I'm of an age where I still think it's pretty close to magic that sat-nav systems work at all. :thumb:

Eh? We're not talking about an in-dash unit... it's a Go540....

Moved back, 40-30

(ignore us bickering, jules!)

Ask a Question