Power Button

Hi,

Newbie question--I just bought a refurbished 720 and find that I have to hold down the power button for 6 seconds (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) for it to turn on.

I wouldn't have thought this as much of a problem (since it consistently turns on after 6 secs), but have a friend who has a 720 which turns on almost instantly.

Do I have a problem unit?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi,

Newbie question--I just bought a refurbished 720 and find that I have to hold down the power button for 6 seconds (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) for it to turn on.

I wouldn't have thought this as much of a problem (since it consistently turns on after 6 secs), but have a friend who has a 720 which turns on almost instantly.

Thanks,
Tim

If you have firmware 8.010, the power up/power off takes just about the 1 second that it sounds it takes your friend. Those with firmware 7x take about 3-4 seconds on the power button. To check your version, tap the satellite bars. The firmware installed shows on the next screen.

I don't think there is any real issue.........

My firmware version is outlined in my sig.

I, too, notice that power-up takes pressing the power button for a few seconds or longer.

I don't think this is abnormal. I see no impact on operability of the unit once it's on.

Interesting

My start screen appears almost instantly after pushing the button.
Actual "ready to use" is probly 5-6 seconds. Seems to vary a little with the unit.

Interesting

My start screen appears almost instantly after pushing the button.
Actual "ready to use" is probly 5-6 seconds. Seems to vary a little with the unit.

What's interesting about mine is:

SOMETIMES I can see the picture of the disk, and the status bar flowing left to right along the bottom of the screen on start-up.

SOMETIMES I just get my start-up splash screen pic, and then it pops to the map of my current location.

I imagine that has to do with whether there were any updates from the dock upon turning it on. Haven't really tried to isolate it.

Either way... kinda interesting.

Since i've upgraded to both V8 Navcore and V8 Map set , a light tap of the power button starts and shuts down the unit almost immediatly. Very noticeable difference from the V7 core and maps.

Upgrade Firmware

Thanks--that's good to know. Seems like the firmware and mapset may be some issues I'll need to take care of.

So, my next quesiton--how do i update my firmware and my mapset? (I just bought the unit so I should be within the 30 days of a free update). But when I go to TomTom Home and try updating my maps--it tells me nothing is available....

Thanks

Regarding the latest map guarantee, I had the same issue. I had to call them and tell them I just bought the unit. They asked me to fax/email them my proof of purchase (receipt and UPC) .. within an hour, I went to check my available updates and the latest maps were downloadable. A little bit of work, but they were nice about it.

Good luck!

My firmware version is outlined in my sig.

I, too, notice that power-up takes pressing the power button for a few seconds or longer.

I don't think this is abnormal. I see no impact on operability of the unit once it's on.

One thing that will make your TT delay startup to 3-5 seconds even with APP 8.010 is if you turn off your unit when you are conected to TT home without first having your device manager disconect your drvice.

As the button seems designed to wear out early this would only serve to decrease the life of the unit.

Rumor has it TomTom will not sell the power switch and expects us to junk the unit.
(Still waiting to find out if this is true.)

Hi,

Thanks,
Tim

You are replying to a EIGHT year old thread, Twaine. That said, TomTom does not sell parts for its devices, new or old like yours.

Why not take it to an electronics repair place near where you live? Cheaper than a new model, I suspect.

This appears to be planned obsolescence engineering which is always annoying and will cost customers.

How could a standard repair house be expected to repair if the needed part is not available?
Are specs on the switch available?

Are firmware changes available that allow power on with applied USB power?
(Another work around to this very annoying problem.)

(Otherwise it would seem pointless to take this to a parts repair and the total cost of replacement includes data entry on the various speed and bookmarks.)

As you pointed out this is an old thread so it made sense to start one anew.
Why not close THIS "8 year old" thread instead of the new one?

You are replying to a EIGHT year old thread, Twaine. That said, TomTom does not sell parts for its devices, new or old like yours.

Why not take it to an electronics repair place near where you live? Cheaper than a new model, I suspect.
I did see the age, and reposted it before this came in.

I don't know what a GO XL is exactly, but to compare age, my 2008 vintage GO 720 has no such issues. It's not really that common a problem, though it does occur, just like other issues.
TomTom does not repair these units. Under warranty, they are replaced. Fair enough complaint that there is no one in North America that is repairing them, but for an item like this, you will find few if any manufacturers of even far more expensive consumer electroncs that still have parts like that available after so many years.

Ask a Question