Post the location of your TomTom GPS to the Internet - Beta testers needed

If you have TomTom device with BT and unlimited data plan, you might be interested in our new site: http://www.tomtomfireeagle.com/

Here you can download application that will make your TomTom location visible on iGoogle home page and many other blogs and social networking sites.

Share and enjoy!

PS The app is way far from being perfect yet, so your feedback will be appretiated :)

had the apps downloaded and unzipped.

question: Can I try the application without giving my device id?

Hi gerryc,

At the moment the application will not work without device id.

The idea behind entering device id is to help users who own multiple units to ensure that every device has unique FireEagle account and location of Mom's TomTom will not be confused with the location of Dad's TomTom.

The device id appeared to us as a convenient means to implement this feature, since it's easily available for both user and application.

The device id is not part of the location post to the FireEagle. It's kept locally on the device and on firetom server during registration process.

Would you mind to share with us what made you to hesitate to use your device id during the registration process?

Are you aware of some malicious use of device id if it's available to the 3rd party?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have a spare tomtom One. I will try it later this week.

as for being hesitant in giving the device id, its just an internet habit of not giving unique numbers to websites. Afterall device id is what tomtom support asks when I call for help.

If the application is to lock in to the unit (i.e. for device identification, future licensing etc..), entering first few digits of the device id should be enough to make the unit unique . :).

Last edited:
Thanks gerryc,

That makes perfect sense. In the next version we will just ask for the last 5 digits.

I have it installed... looks like it works.

When I press the 'ft snap' button, it notes down my location at that particular time .. then when I go home and connect the tomtom, there is a file that I open which takes me to the website where I have the option to share my location.

I guess the question is what is the purpose of doing so? If this is to emulate the 'FindmeSpot' gps locator, then there has to be a website where my friends can login to see where I am. Or where I was (in the case of offline reporting).

I guess this is very useful to those with 'unlimited data' connections service.

Ask a Question