Possible to Turn Off Live?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
I am have go 740 TM, and my live service has recently expired. I want to still uses the lifetime traffic for my tomtom, but everytime when it start up, it will try to connect to live service. After a while, it change into an !. I have to first click on it(so it will connect to tomtom and realize my live services is expired), then unplug the tomtom and reconnect it to the usb car charger(with the traffic receiver built in) and it will work. But thats a lot of work so I was wondering if there is a way to turn live services off?

Do you use hands-free or other Bluetooth?

If not, you could see if enabling "Flight mode" (preferences menu) does what you want.
I think that is remembered after a power down.

Putting it in flight mode tends to also turn off the GPS receiver, the best option to disable the Live side of the device is to pull the Sim card out if you can get at it - Mike

That has to count as one of my most stupid ideas ever! (and on a new forum too! :()

In my defence, I'm not entirely sure WHY it turns the GPS receiver off.
Surely that's just an INCOMING connection, nothing being transmitted?

Well, I certainly know that some airlines allow gps units to be used onboard while other airlines do not. Again, you are just receiving a gps signal, so the same issue applies, I suppose.

Whilst the GPS system in the TomTom is a receiver they do create interference, if you have more than one device try the following:

Start both units outside about 3 feet away from each other and set them on the GPS status page, after a few minutes when they have a position fix note the signal to noise ratio figures on both units.

Move the units so they are closer together and watch the Signal to Noise figure degrade on both devices, they do cause interference with each other.

Pack a plane load of people with GPS enabled phones in to an aircraft and they will also interfere with each other and possibly the aircraft GPS system dependent upon the GPS aerial position on the aircraft relative to the Pax seats.

With GPS now the primary source of nav position on a number of commercial aircraft its not really acceptable for RF emmisions to degrade the S/N ratio as this can lead to positional accuracy degredation.

For this reason Flight Mode disables the GPS receiver, the same applies to HTC based mobile phones as well as a number of other GPS receivers that have a "Flight Mode"

One other side issue that will screw up GPS receivers is the proposed 4G mobile phone system in the USA as that is intended to operate in a frequency band very close to the same frequency used by the GPS system, the FCC recently lost a case on this issue but somehow I doubt the dust hasn't settled on this one just yet, Garmin and Trimble certainly don't seem to happy about it (Google "lightsquared-jamming-report" for more information on this issue) - Mike

Ask a Question