Possible Mobile speed camera ahead!

Hi,

I have just bought the tomtom xl iq routes uk & roi live version. in the settings menus i can select noises to warn me of possible safety camera locations, although my friend has a very similar model of tomtom to me, his just isnt live capable. his is about a year old and mine is about a week old. how come his warns him verbally of possible mobile camera hot spots and mine doesnt? all i can select is noises... is there a way i could have mine warn me verbally?

Sam

Update

This is the Tomtom I have purchased: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-XL-L...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315708077&sr=1-2

This is my friends Tomtom: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 2 UK and RoI Satellite: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As far as I am aware the only difference between the 2 devices is mine has live and his doesn't.

My friends Tomtom can say 'warning possible mobile speed camera ahead' - even if he is not speeding - just says it anywhere that is a mobile camera hot spot.

My Tomtom only seems to have certain noises, like bells etc which i can select to alert me. Is there any way i can have it prompt me with a verbal warning the same as my friends Tomtom?

I bought a disk from ebay with lots of different voices and warnings and lots more for about a fiver . . . .
Type in 'update tomtom'

Update

This is the Tomtom I have purchased: TomTom XL Live IQ Routes Edition UK and ROI Satellite: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is my friends Tomtom: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 2 UK and RoI Satellite: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As far as I am aware the only difference between the 2 devices is mine has live and his doesn't.
I could be wrong, but the regional IQRoutes unit doesn't do text to speech at all, does it? His IQRoutes2 does. Not a matter of age - an issue of having a different model.

This sounds exactly like your friend has the "Pocket GPS World" speed camera database installed (a subscription service)
When you install the camera data, you also have the option to add one of several sets of real voice warnings and some of those say those exact words.
(They are recorded voices rather then using text to speech).

Also, TomTom's own speed cam data doesn't alert you to all the possible mobile trap areas, so that's another indication that he is using PGPSW's database.

Ask a Question