Poor signal reception in Peugeots

Does anyone else suffer from poor signal reception in a Peugeot? In both my 2002 model 206 and in my late 1990's Peugeot van a newly purchased TomTom One struggles to find satelite signals. Someone suggested that the front windscreens of Peugeots have some kind sun filter in them and I was wondering if that was causing the poor reception. On an old Acer PDA cum GPS I had to buy an external aerial to get that to "see" satelites but there seems to be no such accessory for the TTOne.

Cheers, Steve

Indeed a good few "Pugs" have whats called an Athermic windscreen, this is a very thin layer of Titanium deposited on to the glass laminates as the windscreen is manufactured, it is very effective at attenuating GPS signals as well as FM radio signals.

Newer TomTom devices have very sensitive GPS receivers and should still work when used in such cars, just make sure ou let the device accquire its position fix prior to driving away otherwise you will compound the issue of locating the signal. Even consider switching the GPS device on prior to leaving your house, let it find the signal before you get in the car and it will work fine but this last option really shouldn't be necessary - Mike

Last edited:

Ask a Question