Poor GPS signal on TOM TOM 3GS

Hi,

I am new to this site so bear with me

I have just upgraded to 4.2.1 in the past week and I am now getting poor GPS signal on my Iphone 3GS.. I am hearing on the grapevine that there is a bug in the system that prevents/blocks the 3GS GPS signal for the Iphone 3GS..is this the case?.............It worked fine before the upgrade to ISO4!!

I even downloaded the Co-Pilot App but this has GPS issues as well...although it does find the GPS it cannot hold the signal for long....poor signal again

My wife has a Iphone 3G and the TT works fine and dandy...I have not upgraded this as yet because of the problem above wit the 3GS
Thanks
Icallea

Can anyone assist

I have a 3GS with 4.2.1, and gps seems to be working as well as it ever did - which is "not brilliant".

There appeared to be a bug in a previous TT sw (1.4 I think) which locked out gps, but this appears to have been cured with 1.5. I'm using 1.6 now.

I still have "poor gps" and "no gps" messages, but I have found that using the iPhone in a portrait mode rather than landscape seems to give better reception. I don't know whether this is a general case or specific to mine.

I have also stopped using the air vent holder, which is necessarily below the level of the dash, and gone back to a screen mount.

The 3G I was using had to be high on the dash or windscreen mounted, to be honest without the TomTom car kit it was useless in the car.

My wife has the 3GS which is better in terms of GPS reception but still needed the car kit when you got in to a city center/ high buildings etc.

These days I am running an iPhone4 which sits in a Brodit/ Pro-Clip holder low down on the dash with no issues at all, GPS performance is fine.

As for 4,2,1 messing up certain GPS applications, yes there are a number of reports of this on a few web sites, what the bug affects seems to be random, the cure appears to be a restore of all software from a blank iPhone, not a five minute task! - Mike

icallea, go to your default maps app while driving and make sure the current position cursor moves along with u. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with the phone/firmware.

Poor GPS on Iphone ?GS

Hi,

Thanks for the responses to my issue

Iphone is still the same.....I have poor GPS signal. My maps is working fine so no issue there

I am just waiting for Apple /TOM TOM to resolve the firmware issue which has blocked the GPS for the Tom Tom and Co-Pilot...Apparently I am not alone with this issue!

Icallea

Ask a Question