Poor Business Model

I purchased a new Xl340-S. After connecting to my computer, it told me it had to update my maps. I updated. I went FOUR days later to purchase the map update service only to be told that my maps are old and I had to first pay to get the newer map and then purchase the update service all in one package!

I called Tom Tom. Their response was that they understood my frustration but the computer d/l the latest update and I was only entitled to one update.

There is NO ONE who cannot tell me that they cannot use a system when someone connects for the 1st time with the 30 day map guarantee that Tom Tom, knowing they are in the 30 day window for a new map, would not offer a 1st time user the option of:

1) Downloaded the latest map
2) We expect releasing a new map within 30 days. Would you like to continue using your old maps and be notified when the new map is released for your one free update.

I am returning my GPS to the store today if for no other reason than out of principle. I work for an international multi-billion dollar company and I can say emphatically that when it comes to satisfying customers we go the extra mile each and every time. So they have lost me as a customer and I can assure Tom Tom that friends and acquaintances will never receive a positive response about this company from me.

When your map was updated, was it updated to 845? (In other words, have you purchased the unit since 845 came out?). If so, you only pay for the 4 upgrades over the next year, not the 'top up' cost to get your map current.

On the other hand, if you're sayin that your map upgrade got you to 840 and THEN the 845 map came out then yes, I understand your frustration. It is true that TomTom DID provide you with what it promised and the cost of getting from 840 to the current 845 won't be much, it's still irritating.

Mind you, how often have we purchased something, anything, and then seen the price drop AFTER we made the purchase. Goes on all the time, I'm afraid.

Doesn't help you now but there are plenty of people who come here and say I just purchased model X, when is the next map due so I don't hurt my chances for the LMG.

As I understand it, the purpose of the Latest Map Guarantee is to offset the fact that retail products can and do sit on shelves for a while, sometimes resulting in end users purchasing a unit that includes maps that are not current at the time of purchase. In the event that this happens, the user can update, at no charge, to the maps that were current at the time of purchase. With this in mind, the system works as intended. (I don't know if Home still reports that no newer maps are available, when in fact they are).

That said, I think it's reasonable to allow users to purchase a map update subscription within 30 days of purchasing their unit, without having to pay the "top off" cost to get their maps current.

The cost of maps updates is way too high. I purchased the XL340 for my daughter for $129 Cdn. My GO 630 was a little more but still having to put that kind of money out so close to the purchase date is annoying. I just not going to do it! When the map gets to the point where I find it is too far out of date I will be making a decision on the future of the whole unit. If they made them a more reasonable cost, it would cut down on the piracy issue that is running rampant.

Hi grwebster

With due respect, it costs millions to update a map per release. People really dont understand the amount of work that goes behind these map corrections.

when you look at the map that is on your device you see one map, but infact there are several layers to the map. Everything has to be checked, rechecked, and tripple checked. Tested, made in several formats, tested again.

I challenge you to find a paper map/book, which has the entire of the USA on it, will search for you and tell if if there is a traffic jam, tells you the costs of fuel on your route, shows you all the currect speed cameras. And gives you several thousand updates every 3 months. And will guide you to help if needed.

I would say you would need a trailer to carry the book, and a huge amount of money. instead you get it on a device which is less than 5 inches in size, weighs less than a bag of sugar.

rant over with

Volron

Last edited:

Ask a Question