Polarized Sunglasses block TomTom Screen!

Polarized sun glasses block the picture from the TomTom. You cannot see the screen if you are wearing polarized sun glasses. Rotate the TomTom 90 degrees or so and the picture becomes very readable, but what a crummy way to look at the TomTom. Rotate the TomTom 180 degrees and the picture is blocked.

Try it out and (don't) see. TomTom sez they use polarization to improve the picture--- big mistake. How in the devil do you see a TomTom with polarized eye glasses in New Mexico when they have blocked out the picture unless you rotate the screen 90 degrees?? Polarized gunglasses improve driver safety. Somebody had their head up their shirt.

This is a real bummer.

TomTom is full of it. It's the nature of the beast.

What you are encountering is common to LCD screens, including the one that may well be in front of your PC right now. In fact, an LCD screen is a good way to check to see if the sunglasses you just bought are really polarized. This problem exists for everything from cell phones to camcorder screens. Every LCD screen is built with two polarizing layers. When they're both polarized the same way, the light gets through. When the polarity is 90 out of phase, things to pretty black.

The only reason you've never noticed this before is that you don't sit in front of your PC with your sunglasses on... or if you do, you got lucky with the polarization. I'm guessing your glasses are oriented 90 degrees from the industry "norm".

Last edited:
Im trying out my new medicated polarised sunglasses and can see perfectly my laptop

when driving, when looking at the rear window through the rear view mirror and sometimes side windows I see a kinda pixaleted effect (best way to explain) and ony with my sunglasses

So at the moment am not convinced of your explanation

(using wifes) DELL Lattitude E6400

Not tried the TT yet

:)

Im trying out my new medicated polarised sunglasses and can see perfectly my laptop

when driving, when looking at the rear window through the rear view mirror and sometimes side windows I see a kinda pixaleted effect (best way to explain) and ony with my sunglasses

So at the moment am not convinced of your explanation

(using wifes) DELL Lattitude E6400

Not tried the TT yet

:)
Rotate your glasses 90 degrees while looking at the screen and report back :p

tried 90 deg's still can see screen
but... when I turn 45 degs the screen goes dark, but not complete blackout
i also notice some marks, almost imperfections on the screen on certyain places like whiteouts

again not tried tt

but OP did say that the issue was resolved with a 90 deg turn

will get back once i try it with the TT :D

tried 90 deg's still can see screen
but... when I turn 45 degs the screen goes dark, but not complete blackout
i also notice some marks, almost imperfections on the screen on certyain places like whiteouts
Sounds like they need to hire you for QA!

The request to rotate through 90 degrees isn't because the problem will occur precisely at 90, but that by doing the 90 degree rotation, you'll be assured that somewhere, you'll have seen the problem zone.

I've read that the movement by some sunglasses manufacturers to 45 degrees was in direct response to issues with LCD screens (still anecdotal), but that they're less effective in other more normal circumstances, but that most sunglasses are polarized vertically - the idea being to help with horizontal glare off water and windshields.

Ask a Question