POI's

TomTom Model(s)
Can anyone please help?

I am an ambulance driver and use my tomtom 950 to get to different hospitals throughout the UK. I have downloaded an extra A&E poi catagory which now means i have 2 pois files for hospitals. Is it possible to transfer all the hospitals from one folder in to the other so they are all together?

Many thanks Damion

If you have two Hospital POI files and you want to join them to become a single file the best approach is to use POIEdit to concatenate the files thus producing a single file containing all locations. POIEdit can be downloaded for free from www.poiedit.com - Mike

I think the OP may want to combine the new file he's downloaded with the BUILT-IN "hospitals" category on the TomTom.

You can't do that with POI Edit, I'm afraid.

There used to be a way to merge your own POI files into one of the TomTom's own POIs (a trick I'm still really proud of finding) but it stopped working a long time ago AFAIK.
Here's my original write-up, but I'm pretty sure it won't work now. Merging Your Own Poi Files With The Built In Categories.

My best solution to your question is to ignore the built-in TomTom POIs completely.

Download a "Hospitals" POI file from the same place as you got the A+E one from, then use POI edit to merge THOSE two together.
You can give the finished file whatever name you like, to differentiate it from the built-in one.

If you are going to use it a lot, another good trick is to name it with an underscore at the front... something like "_Hospitals&A+E".
That way it will appear at the top of the alphabetical listing.

Hi Andy_P, many thanks for your reply. yea that was my initial intention having all the UK hospitals in one folder so i downloaded POIEdit as mikealder mentioned but somehow it managed to screw my pc up lol so what ive done is ive deleted the hospital poi's from my tomtom and i think what im gonna do is (if i remember) add the hospitals manually when i get to them and see if that works.

thanks to the both of you for your replies.

Damion

Sorry to hear that. I have to say, I've NEVER heard of POIEdit causing any problems to anyone's PC before. It's a pretty simple prog.

There are alternatives that should do the same thing. You could try "POIEditor" from here:
http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poimanager.html

or have a look at this website which has several on-line toools and downloadable programs.
http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/poi_edit.php

I'm slightly confused though, because I thought the "Hospitals" POI you were talking about was the built-in one, and you can't delete those...

The problem i have is that because of the nature of my job where we deliver donated organs, i rely on my tomtom to get me to hospitals and not all of the UK hospitals are installed so i have to start and google the addresses of them. I have tried gps-data-team and paid the £4 to become a member but im getting no where with that, i cant even get to register on it.

How about PocketGPSWorld's POIs?
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

Their "Healthcare" section has (amongst others)
1369 Hospitals
113 A+E
32 Nuffield Hospitals

When you select and download them the PGPSW system allows you to choose whether you want to keep them separate or to merge them into one file.

And one of those POI manager progs we mentioned should be able to merge them with others you may find too (I know POI Edit can also remove any duplicates).

Hi Andy, ive managed to download the poi's from pocketgpsworld and ive also been using mypoi manager which has been very good. A big thankyou for ur help, give it a week and ill ave probably lost em all again lol

I also joined gps-data-team, registered and paid. Cannot access their site because login claims that my email address is invalid. Cannot request a new password because they say my email is invalid. Have posted on their forum several times asking for help only to have the thread deleted / removed.

They have a no refund policy, no phone contact and no interest in anything apparently other than getting your money.

My experience may not mirror your own but my comment is - don't waste your money.

it seems that, as is almost always my case, I panicked over a user self-inflicted error which in this case involved multiple incidents of stupidity. once I became rational and became aware of how to contact gps-data-team they resolved my issue very quickly. (where's the embarrassed smilie when you need it)

If nothing else I'm persistent. This will be a graphical answer so the image has what to do. The trick is, even as a registered member, to go to the register page and use the Ask a question button, no need to register. Your question goes into the All about GPS forum and Mark, the Forum Admin, gets right after it. Image below

GPS POI ask.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. In fact, some years ago, I think I too paid to join and, after seeing your post, tried to log in and ran into the same problems you did.

That's why I asked.......:)

Can anyone please help?

I am an ambulance driver and use my tomtom 950 to get to different hospitals throughout the UK. I have downloaded an extra A&E poi catagory which now means i have 2 pois files for hospitals. Is it possible to transfer all the hospitals from one folder in to the other so they are all together?

Many thanks Damion

I too have just started to work as an ambulance driver - do you find that the built-in TomTom POI for hospitals take you to A&E entrances? If not, where could I download a POI file for A&E departments?
Many thanks
Ian

Ask a Question