POI Updates - Can we make it simpler?

Hi,
I went to update the POIs for my TomTom One and found the process to be quite laborious. I found options to download several groups of POI from different companies, areas, etc... Seems like I need to pick a company, let's say pizza hut and download a database with all their locations.

Isn't there a way I can just pick my city or county and download all POI updates for that area? Or is there a way to download a POI package that has more than just a few businesses?

Thanks

Hi,
I went to update the POIs for my TomTom One and found the process to be quite laborious. I found options to download several groups of POI from different companies, areas, etc... Seems like I need to pick a company, let's say pizza hut and download a database with all their locations.

Isn't there a way I can just pick my city or county and download all POI updates for that area? Or is there a way to download a POI package that has more than just a few businesses?

Thanks

There are many places on the web where you can get poi's (besides this forum, itself). Here are some:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/
http://www.poi-factory.com/
http://www.poifriend.com/
http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/011339.php

You can also use MyPOI. just google it and it is an application that will search for POIs in a certain area.

Hi,

Thanks

I second that. I went in and grabbed each of the POIs from here that I expected to visit, set up the icons and categories through a few hand-tweaks, and then my friend suggested we meet up at one of the POI types I didn't download (sigh).

I am finding it hard to find mypoi.
Is there a way to instead of downloading all taco bells in usa, or all starbucks in usa, just get a miscellneaus list of businessess in my area? Get either a california list of pois?

thanks

I just used starbucks and taco bell as examples. I actually don't care about them. What I was trying to say is why would I want POIS for the whole country when I only drive around my area?

I would like to get a list of POIs in my area or state only. Does it make sense?
Thanks

Files aren't that large

POI files are not very large, even if they include ALL the taco belles in North America. Then when you travel farther away, you know where to find your favorite chain without additional work of downloading an additional area. But you can find POI's that have been made for only a specific area (or make your own).

Google "POI" and the store name you want to find, and you will find a lot of forums sharing POI's. Be aware that Garmin POI's need to be converted to Tomtom's itn format, but there are also websites that will do that for you. If you don't want to hassle with conversion, then only search for Tomtom POI's in your Internet search.

POI files often include a small *.bmp file with them, which is used as an icon in the POI menu.

I just used starbucks and taco bell as examples. I actually don't care about them. What I was trying to say is why would I want POIS for the whole country when I only drive around my area?

I would like to get a list of POIs in my area or state only. Does it make sense?
Thanks

Thanks
Why would you want all of the POIs in your area if you already know where they are?

If you would only want custom POIs in your area only, then you will need to make your own POIs using the MyPOI application. It is easy to use.
If you would like it, Private Message me your email address.

Ask a Question