POI Logo

TomTom Model(s)
720 v8.302
The logos I make never seem as sharp as the ones supplied with the TT POIs.
I create them quite large and save only as a BMP so no loss of quality when editing, then finally reduce to 16x16 for loading to TT. 16x16 seems to be the size of the TT logos.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

VIA1505 map V950.6490

On my 1535, I am running 25x25 'transparent" (background color solid red).

To the OP:
When you create them 'large' and they are reduced, you will always discover that the quality of the scaling is never as good as if the bmp were created to scale to begin with. Your talent is usually better than that of the algorithm doing the scaling, which creates soft edges in its own way. You'll find that all of the TomTom icons are sharper than any scaled ones because of this. They build them to size to begin with.

Any editor that can flood fill will do - but you may have to set a threshold setting to assure the red doesn't bleed into the icon itself.
Alternately, with 25x25, it's not that tough to do it manually. 255,0,0.

Thanks to all.
22x22 and 24x24 are too large for me, I wanted the same size as TT.
I will try creating at 16x16 as suggested

Arno mentioned Irfanview, which I use and I recalled that it has a sharpen feature under Image tab.

I found that the sharpen works best after reducing to 16x16 and I now have the quality with the size I wanted

Thanks again

Yes, I did all of my simple ones with Irfanview but there is no way of making the background transparent.

Transparency (for TomTom) is a matter of taking all of the background area and making it solid red. Paint.net is handy for projects like that.

Ask a Question