POI in Drive View

TomTom Model(s)
I took my first long drive today with my TT720. It worked great and since I took a route that I was familiar with, I know it gave me the best route. I was also able to use it in a new City and it took me where I needed to go, although I missed a turn.

My question is about POI while in driving view. I don't see very many of them on the screen and even if they are there, I don't see a way to find out what they are unless I move to Map view. This doesn't seem like the best way to find a POI while driving. While driving, if I see an icon for a restaurant, I want to know what it is and then decide if I want to navigate to there. Also, as I drove along the highway, I noticed many potential POI that did not show up at all.

At the very least, I would like a shortcut to the Map view. Some of the more familiar icons, like McDonalds are very easy to see, maybe better Icons for other would make them more useful. If you make you own POI, you could create and save a custom made 16x16 icon for each POI that had the name embedded, but using such a small icon, probably you could not read it. The icon for USA Burger King, which I got online, is not as easy to distinguish as the golden McDonalds icon.

In any event, if someone knows an easy way to determine what POI I am passing while in drive view, and then navigate to it, I will appreciate the assistance.

joey

I took my first long drive today with my TT720. It worked great and since I took a route that I was familiar with, I know it gave me the best route. I was also able to use it in a new City and it took me where I needed to go, although I missed a turn.

My question is about POI while in driving view. I don't see very many of them on the screen and even if they are there, I don't see a way to find out what they are unless I move to Map view. This doesn't seem like the best way to find a POI while driving. While driving, if I see an icon for a restaurant, I want to know what it is and then decide if I want to navigate to there. Also, as I drove along the highway, I noticed many potential POI that did not show up at all.

At the very least, I would like a shortcut to the Map view. Some of the more familiar icons, like McDonalds are very easy to see, maybe better Icons for other would make them more useful. If you make you own POI, you could create and save a custom made 16x16 icon for each POI that had the name embedded, but using such a small icon, probably you could not read it. The icon for USA Burger King, which I got online, is not as easy to distinguish as the golden McDonalds icon.

In any event, if someone knows an easy way to determine what POI I am passing while in drive view, and then navigate to it, I will appreciate the assistance.

joey

You have found one of the things I, too, feel is lacking in the POI realm on the TomToms...you really should be able to press the POI in the map view and have it navigate a route there, but the TomTom doesn't allow you to do that. As you said, you have to go to map view to even figure out what it is.

Or, knowing where you are, you could Navigate to....a POI...NEAR you...andclick on the Restaurant category and it should show you the list of the ones close to you. Totally agree that this is not very convenient, but I know no other way.

As far as some of the potential POI not showing up, the POIs included in the TomTom are far from complete and thorough. I would simply create a new category and add the POI with its own icon for viewing.

Also, by default the TomTom does not show all POIs on the map that are stored in your unit. You have to make sure you have checkmarked the POIs that you want to view from the Manage POI menu.

Ask a Question