POI for Tracking Map Errors

Ever Find that the TomTom doesn't know that the way is blocked (permanently)? Or it wants you to turn the wrong way on a one way street? Or it's just plain off from where you need to go? You get frustrated and you think I should remember this and when I get online report the feed back to TeleAtlas or TomTom's map feedback area. (Though I personally like the first choice).

Well I have been on a road trip for hours and there's no way I'm going to remember it later. But... I'm stopped on the side of the road figuring out how to get around the obstacle that TomTom wants me to go through...

So I was thinking.... why not make a POI that has its own category and symbol? This is great for 3 reasons that I can think of now.

1) I can make a few clicks to save the error as a 'bookmark'
2) I can leave it on my device as an enabled POI in case I'm coming through this way again, I already know I'm going to have problems and can tell my device to re-route around it. (which is easier because I already have it bookmarked and don't have to type in what part of the route I need re-routed.)
3) When I get online I have a list of places I can report map feedback on! Which eventually will be fixed and I can verify that next time I'm in the area of that POI.

Steps to set this up.
I have created a template and it's available to download. (attached)

1 Browse the map
2 click the compass icon to get to your current location. (remember you should be stopped safely off the road at this point, preferably close enough to get an accurate reading on the GPS location)

1.bmp

3 Click the cross-hairs to get this menu up
2.bmp

4 Click Add as POI and click NA Map Errors
3.bmp

5 Type in some text
4.bmp

5.bmp

6 Click Done and you should have a Map with something like this
6.bmp

7 When you are done traveling and want to report your feed back for map errors open HOME and click NA Map Errors and click Copy Copy function is for HOME 1.5.032 This will save your POI to your Hard Drive
7.bmp

8 in HOME from the My Computer tab, double click the NA Map Errors to see where the file is and then go to that directory and open the zip file.
8.bmp

9 Open the ov2 file with your favorite POI editing tool and you'll have the coordinates and a small note of the error that you can post to TeleAtlas or TomTom's maps feedback site.

Attachments

• Map Errors.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
brilliant idea.

I did that once on the way home when it encountered an area but all I could think of at that time was "Add as Favourite" lol.

Thanks. I made it in the hopes of an easier, more proactive way for users to send in the errors they find. In the end it helps us all...

The icon was made with MS Paint... took about 5 seconds. :)

ooops! I have NO idea how this post ended up in this thread. I made the icon for the covered Bridges POI. I STOLE the icon from HERE for the Map Error POI -evil grin (if you have used it, you know it's the question mark icon from this board) -sorry jason

icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

why cannot TomTom do this. It always is up to us, the punters

So much sense. I tear out my hair with TomTom Technical at times. And you know TomTom Commercial is no better than TomTom Retail. Different phone numbers to the same idiots.

You possibly guessed although, 720 is a great product, we have to spoon-feed their technical guys and girls

Their Tech people

They know some people can sort out their problems. They know some people put solutions on internet. They are aware that because they use a lot of open licences, people will improve theirs products. What they seem to forget is that many of us do it to help the market and not make gains. I will state again. I think the 720 is their best product. I am not looking to defraud them by using illicit maps etc, but at the end of the day, I travel from A to B in many countries and if I can use GPS I will. If they do do have the most reliable mapping software, I will make sure I make it work with what I have

Why TomTom do not follow this ethos is beyond me. I work a lot in Romania and Bulgaria. They do not sell those maps, but they are readily available on interest. Why do they not make sucurity higher and make them correct? I have offered then many times this service as I travel around 5.5 thousand miles a month in Romania and bulgaria

So would be easy to accomplish

Who in their right mind would buy 680.1536 that just has the major roads in Romania? and not even accurate

Our vehicles travel approx 6.5 million miles in Eastern Europe, some 3 million miles in CIS

They need to pull their fingers out

Stupid Question but do i put the 2 files into the north american file directory or another directory

Matt

Ask a Question