poi filtering

hi people,

my problem is that i want to filter specific poi's, for example gas stations, i only use 1 brand, but when i search for gas stations it shows all of the stations out there and doesn't let me search with brand name ie shell or bp, plus it shows the name of the station not the brand of it (for ex. i search for shell and it finds the HQ of shell in my city, not the stations) so to see whether its a brand i want or not, i must tap on a station name, check details, if not the one go back and try again with the next one

is there a way i can filter those by brand name and then create a custom poi list so i can add an icon for that and see on map?

btw my device is a via 125 with latest map and fw installed

Hi faw13 and welcome to TTF!

One idea to hopefully accomplish what you want:

1. Go here and download the csv file for e.g. Shell stations. This site requires a (simple, free) membership
2. Convert csv to poi using a program such as PoiEditor
3. Go here for info on how to import your poi set to your 125.

i know i can do that but actually i want to use the poi's that are already in the device, plus, those sites dont have anything for my country :) or is there a way i can convert a *.poi file to ov2? for ex i have igo pois which have an extension of .poi and i could find a way to convert them

It might help if you said which country... maybe someone knows of a POI collection fro there.

As a moderator I can see the IP address you're posting rom, which implies it might be Turkey, but the look-up tool does sometimes get it wrong.

As for the iGo .poi format, have you tried opening it in a basic text editor such as notepad?

It could be wrong, but this site seems to imply that iGo uses simple ASCII text files for it's POIs.

Alternatively, the online converter at www.poieditor.com says it can now handle iGo8's format (.upoi) so it MIGHT do .poi too.

Yes I'm at Turkey, Istanbul sorry forgot to mention that :)

i tried many poi sites, only poi plaza has an acceptable poi collection which is mostly from 2009 or early 2010, half of the companies moved place or changed brand in this time zone :)

i tried to convert from upoi to ov2 but nothing happens (the file i'm converting is 25mb and the converted file is 3.3kb so i didnt even bother trying to upload that file to my via to try it out)

as i said the collection i own works perfect with igo primo but coudlnt find a way to convert it, as for checking it with text editor, opening it with wordpad, 35min of waiting and result is all those unreadable boxes or strange symbols, but if it's ASCII then maybe i can find a way to convert it to readable format and convert the txt file to ov2 file and see if it works, which i guess wouldnt work but cant know without trying eh? :)

thanks for the info,
have a good day

GPSBabel converts nearly everything to everything, including iGO *.upoi files and TomTom *.ov2 files. While I haven't used *.upoi as input data, I've found the *.ov2 files for TomTom work just fine. See here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

While I was searching around for faw13, I found several programs that said they could import or export iGo ".upoi" format files, but I couldn't find any mention of faw13's ".poi" format (without the "u").

While I was searching around for faw13, I found several programs that said they could import or export iGo ".upoi" format files, but I couldn't find any mention of faw13's ".poi" format (without the "u").
Dunno - AFAIK, for the last few years at least, the iGO units use *.upoi files.

that is the problem, i cant find anything too, but my old sat nav reads the *.poi file (which is originally a route 66 device but i installed igo primo on it but it is slow as hell and route calculating is a pain), not the upoi, in fact when i searched around for other turkish poi files, all i can find is factory tomtom and garmin files, these are ok but i already own the tomtom one embedded into my device, the other one is the most common software used here in turkey which works with igo only, and the format is *.poi

the tomtom map includes 250.000 poi's while the poi i mention has 700.000, so you can see why i want that so hard :)

So, did anybody figure out how to transfer the .poi files from iGo to TomTom? I am going through the EXACT same issue. I love the TomTom (especially the traffic) but the POI is so much worse and I want to transfer from my old iGo device. It isn't text.

Ask a Question