POI File shows NO POI's

TomTom Model(s)
GO-730
Has anyone come across a problem I am having with my GO730, it shows all POI files correctly except for one which always shows as having no POI's :confused:

I have attached a zip file with the ov2, bmp & X2 bmp files.

Help, this is driving me nuts!

Attachments

• National Trust.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 324
The file opens properly using POI EDIT. Are you choosing near you, in city, on route?

It happens when using 'POI near you', 'POI near Home' and using 'Find' then 'Point of Interest' on 'Browse map'

It all started after a recent Tomtom system update - even using a backup image doesn't seem to work with just this file. I tried checking all was OK using POI Edit and, as you did, found it appeared OK.

This SOUNDS LIKE it is all due to the recent TomTom update you've installed.

Older TomTom's had no restriction on the internal "search" function and showed you the nearest POIs in a category WHEREVER they were.

More recent models had a "crippled" search functionality and only show you those within an aprox. 50 mile radius to a given location.

The latest updates for some older models (such as the Go x30 x40 x50 ranges) have introduced this appalling rubbish to those models too.

You now have to use "POI in City" to get a starting point reasonably close to the place you want to look for POIs, before it can find anything.

I HATE THIS!!!!

Does that sound like your problem? If you pick a town or city reasonably near to a National Trust property, does it find some results then?

Have just checked the version no.: 9.510

Details from GO730:
App 9.510.1234792.1, OS 842337
(2039, 4/4/2013)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map 'United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v910,4892

Thanks Andy,

That is the part of the problem. This is an odd problem, if I use this other version of the same file and bmp, it all works OK. But if I change the bmp in any way it gives the No POI error. All my other POI's work exactly as they should, it's just this one!

I just tried the instructions in 'Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home' and after rebooting NO maps were found. Home did offer TomTom application for Car & Motor Navigation' and this shows the 9.510 version when checked.

Could this also be why sometimes the car symbol changes itself from the selected one to the default blue arrowhead??

How can I remove this hopeless update and have the map work correctly?

Attachments

• National Trust Original.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 357
Having reformatted the GO730 and restored a backup from last year, then adding the POI files gives exactly the same problems. This seems to point to BIOS files being part of the cause. So , what has Tomtom done to the system and, even more importantly, why?? It seems that they have taken a system that worked perfectly well and decided to modify it to "their" idea of what we, as users should be able to do. Are they copying Apple and Android but with a 'duff' system???

Has anyone come across a problem I am having with my GO730, it shows all POI files correctly except for one which always shows as having no POI's I have attached a zip file with the ov2, bmp & X2 bmp files.
Your zip has only one POI file, named National Trust, but two icon files named National Trust and National Trust X2. Is it that second orphan icon file that appears to be an empty POI file?

The National Trust X2.bmp file is just what it says, a double size bitmap. It is a 44x44 pixel picture whereas the National Trust.bmp is a 22x22 pixel picture. X2 bmp's are used by a number of POI producers - PocketGPS Speed Cameras have X2's for all the differing types of camera. The ov2 file is the one that GO730 now says has NO POI's in it.

Forgot to say the ov2 files in the two zip files are identical, it is just the National Trust.bmp file that differs. Changing this file in the National Trust Original zip to that of the National Trust zip causes the ov2 file to not show its POI's, which are still there. The GO730 cannot see the POI's for some reason using the National Trust.bmp from the National Trust zip which is actually the National Trust.bmp from the National Trust Original zip with its colours changed. This is the ONLY change the ov2 remains the same.

Just for laughs, download the file attached to tgold's post (I screwed up ......:() , extract & rename contents to National_Trust.ov2 and copy to your unit's map folder. See if it works.

Thanks.

Tested OK with bmp from National Trust Original.zip and the updated one in National Trust.zip. However, it still changes my car symbol to the blue arrowhead. So, what did you find and why should it change the car symbol?????

Are you looking at 2D view? If so,the icon is always the blue trtiangle. You need 3D view to see the selected car icon.

Nope, it was in 3D. Going into 'Change car symbol' swapping from my normal symbol to the other one (only 2 symbols on my unit, blue arrowhead not being one of them) and back and all is then OK.

I have also noticed that if I sync the clock with the GPS clock it fails to allow for DST. Any ideas? Since this latest update so much has operated but not as it used to, what are Tomtom up to? Wrecking the older units at the current rate!

I have also noticed that if I sync the clock with the GPS clock it fails to allow for DST. Any ideas?
That has always been the case with NAV2. You need to sync to the satellite time and then manually adjust for DST.

Ask a Question