POI Extraction

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition running Navcore 9
I have a bunch of POI's on my TomTom that I would like to extract somehow and get onto Google Maps or something, hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

Are these the built-in POI's or additional POI files you've added?

If they are the original ones, there's nothing you can do as the file is encrypted, but if they are files you have got from elsewhere, then "Tyre" (from Tyre will display your POIs on it's own Google map, but it can be very slow if there are a large number.
POIEdit (PoiEdit - Downloads - but use the download links at the bottom not the blue one) does a similar job.

Alternatively, you should be able to use POIEdit to convert the TomTom's .ov2 format files to Google .kml format and use that in Google EARTH.

Do you know how to access the files on the TomTom using Windows Explorer or MyTomTom, or do you need advice on that too?

Are these the built-in POI's or additional POI files you've added?

These are POI's that I have added, customer locations that I'd like to save, and extract to an Excel file (their coordinates), and possibly even to Google Earth as you suggested.

Do you know how to access the files on the TomTom using Windows Explorer or MyTomTom, or do you need advice on that too?

Yes, you can browse or "explore" the device in Windows, and I believe I can do it in Linux as well. So the data is in the TomTom's .ov2 files, I'm guessing, I suppose I will check out this POIEdit to see if that will work, thanks for your help!

Yes, you're right.

TomTom stores user POIs as individual .ov2 files for each category (easy to see once you look at the file names).
On "traditional" TomToms they are stored in the named folder for the map you are using ("western Europe" or whatever) and you can use Windows Explorer/ Mac Finder or the Linux equivalent to copy them to your PC and back..
On the new models Go1000/1005 Start 20/25 and VIA range, you can download them from the TomTom to the PC using the "Add community content" feature of the "MyTomTom" management program.

POI edit can open those files and re-save them in all sorts of formats, including .csv (which will open in Excel) and .kml (which will display in Google Earth).

Both Tyre and POIEdit can display content's of a POI file on their own Google maps, but slow down horribly if you try to show lots of locations at once.

Ask a Question