POI Editing Question

TomTom Model(s)
TT 1 (NE)
Now that I think :D I know what I'm doing regarding POI's, I have a question: how do you change/edit the POI categories that come preloaded on the TT1's, e.g. Police stations, Amusement parks, etc.?

The only ones that I've had any luck with are the 'after-market' categories, e.g. Home Depot, Lowe's, Pizza Hut, etc. I've looked at the files in the USA/Canada folder but all I see listed are the 'after-market' POI's! :(

Any help would be appreciated! :)

If this question has been asked and answered previously I apologize!

Last edited:
By jove, I think I've found it! I did, I found the answer!! ;)

Sometimes I really surprise myself, and others too! :eek:

I haven't done it yet, but I read it somewhere how to do it. I'll have to find it again. Unless Mike is faster with the answer.

Sorry Pedro, I also read somewhere that it couldn't be done. :( I'm glad George came through with his info! ;)

How do you erase the preloaded POI's? Some of the 'factory' POI's for my area are lacking, to say the least! :mad:

poi deletion

I dont remember the entry but when I mean deleation it is a complete deleation of all preloaded pois and there is no coming back! I would really
discourage it. It is does have alot of info more than you would think. Yes it may be out dated and I know you can't even update it that is a minus....
but i would leave it as is. You would then actually have a limited amount of info , only your personal pois.

How do you erase the preloaded POI's?
Just delete the poi.dat file! But, it is all or nothing. Delete that and you have no pre-installed POI's.

You cannot edit the contents of poi.dat because, apparently, it is subject to copyright. But, you can create your own poi.dat file to replace the standard one. It can include whatever POI's you want.

Details for creating your own poi.dat file are here: http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/poidat.html

As always, backup before doing anything!!

Thanks all for the info!!! ;) I checked out the link in The Spook's post...I'll forgo creating any new .dat files for now! :eek: I'll just turn off the pre-installed POI's that are lacking and create new/modified categories to replace them as needed. Seems less troublesome to me! :)

The link is dead. I was curious to see it.

Do you know where it moved?

No but I found the 910 POI.DAT works just fine on the 720 and has tons of more information. Simply rename the existing poi.dat on the 720 to something like oldpoi.dat and copy the 910's to the same folder. It works. You don't have some of the detail that comes preloaded (like addresses) but otherwise it works. I am trying to get the 920 poi.dat to see if it seamlessly comes in with the details.

Pre-installed POIs

Has anyone tried to copy the POI.dat file to their computer and then delete it from the TomTom? If I did that, would I be able to reinstall the POIs later by just copying them from my computer to my TomTom?

Has anyone tried to copy the POI.dat file to their computer and then delete it from the TomTom? If I did that, would I be able to reinstall the POIs later by just copying them from my computer to my TomTom?

That will work.

Ask a Question