POI Database: Just a little too inaccurate

I have owned the TomTom 910 for a month now. I have the new maps, but I am quite disappointed with the accuracy of the POI database (and wish to make a bit of polite noise on the forum.)

As I've traveled across the States, we have found nearly 20 POI's so far that either do not exist or are improperly referenced; and some major POI's are simply missing as I've noted elsewhere on the forum. Today, it took us an hour of driving around in a 40 foot tour bus from POI to POI to find a laundromat that actually existed. Finally I decided to call the fourth one before going there, and the number referenced to it was incorrect (this has happened with more than one POI---old phone numbers.) The fifth laundromat I called was also the wrong number. Finally, the sixth was correct, and was actually where TomTom said it was!

It's as though TomTom bought an eight year old database at a GPS garage sale. I hate to be negative, but really. Sure businesses come and go, but I have never found another GPS to be this outdated, including older ones that I have had the chance to use extensively.

Let's hope the next POI update is better researched. Companies out there which license this information DO provide accurate and up to date databases. Perhaps TomTom needs to invest a few more dollars if they want to be serious about GPS in North America.

Inacurate POI Data

Yes I agree with you 99% 1 % you answered clorrectly stores come and go.
How ever that's why we have our own poi data that we try to keep as accurate as possible by getting info directly from the web site of each stroe,restaurant or other. I would use these much more and before going to another state or city have it updated (as I do before going) by one of us or yourself if you know how. Also because we can make our own personal ones for our personal needs.

Giorgio

I travel 10 000 miles at a time. Most of my stops, other than key destinations, are unplanned.

I have found only rarely that the Magellan was wrong or out-dated. With the 910, I cross-fingers each time. (The Magellan also lists every address and phone number for their POI's. Several POI's in the 910 have no phone number, and of course, no address at all.)

Sell the 910.
If I don't have my 510, I would gladly buy it from you - at half price:D .
Here is an article about somebody bitching Magellan.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76993

Well you cannot please everybody all the time !

Note: Up to now I never bash anybody except Garmin, and the only cause of bashing is their highway robbery price.

Last edited:
The Moral is... nothing can please everyone. It just doesn't happen. Anyone remember FallHerosCar? How long did we try to help him???

It's all a matter of personal prefernce and opinion.

on that note, IMHO...I LOVE my ONE and it hasn't steered me wrong yet...

Regarding POI's, can the ADMINS and MODS come up with parameters for creating them? By establishing these parameters we'll be able to keep the data in the POI's [at least the ones posted here in the TT FORUM] more consistent and uniform! Heck, it might also make it easier for others to contribute POI's once they see what should and what shouldn't be included. :)

Miie L.

Try a different Map?!!

On a hunch... I just loaded the "Major Roads of US and Canada" to test 2 things....

Search by Exits and the quantity of Rest Area POIs.

First notice, there is plenty of Rest area POIs!

And I was able to search for an Exit....
searched_exit.bmp

we aren't thinking outside the box.... we have ALL these maps on this DVD and we are all concentrating on the NA maps only....

I'm confused. Aren't these maps the same thing? The instructions are for users to use the NA maps.

I'll give this a shot. I'm curious too.

The wife needed the TomTOm today so I couldn't test the Major Roads maps on my way in... infact I need to call her to tell her to switch back to the other map!! oops!

I see no difference in exits (see thread on Official: No exits). I only did one search of Rest Areas. I'll try that one again...

Ask a Question