POI cf Itinerary

TomTom Model(s)
XL Australia
I'm driving from California (San Diego) to Houston in August. I'll be bringing my XL from Australia with me.

I've yet to d/l the appropriate Western and South Central USA maps but will do so in time. My questions are:

1. Should I do it as an itinerary or as a set of POI
2. Because there will be TWO maps (see above), will the XL seamlessly switch between them as needed?
3. Has anyone already made an itin. or POI set of the route to save me the trouble - wishful thinking I know.

Thanks all.

I think you want ONE map, that of USA. If you try for 2 maps, not only will you pay more in the long run than for 1 map covering ALL of the States, but you won't be able to navigate from a point on map A to a destination on map B.

In terms of a route, think it makes sense to plan a itinerary if your model accepts that. A good program to assist with that is TYRE, which can be found here along with helpful information from one of our members, Birdman.

Thanks - I use Tyre for my normal itin. planning; and reference the one map, the XL has only a Gb of memory and no SD slot. I probably have aroun8 800Mb of space, and maybe can fit in a latge map - but would that be effective?

You make it sound as if you have not purchased any US maps yet. Price it out. A complete US map appears to cost LES than 2 regional maps and, as I said, even if you can store 2 regional maps on the card, you can't navigate automatically from a point on map A to a point on map B.

No I haven't purchased any North American maps yet - and thanks you've answered the question about the seamless navigation between 2 maps (say Western USA and South Central USA).

I guess by stripping out unused voices and POI I'd be able to make room for a large USA map - even deleting the AUSTRALIA map and then restoring it from a backup would work (once I'd finished with the USA map).

Exactly. Copy your OZ map folder to the computer. Purchase and install the USA map on the unit prior to your visit. When you return to Australia, copy the USA map folder to the computer and move the Australia map folder back to the unit for use at home.

Dome,

I have USA and Canada 675_1409 on a 1Gb SD card. It actually uses 920 Mg so it should fit if that is the version that you can use. I have no idea if it is still available to buy.
I don't know what version you can use on your Tomtom but if you email me at (e-mail address removed) I'll do some investigating for you.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Exactly. Copy your OZ map folder to the computer. Purchase and install the USA map on the unit prior to your visit. When you return to Australia, copy the USA map folder to the computer and move the Australia map folder back to the unit for use at home.

I assume a normal "Windows" backup would do the trick?

Yes. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing but it is really just the map folder you need backed up.

Ask a Question