Plus Service: Traffic, Road Conditions, Weather

I get nothing but mixed signals on whether or not the Plus Service Traffic (through internet, not through radio signal) is available in the United States.

Where I find documentation on it, even on the TomTom web site, it seems traffic is available here, but only through the TNC Radio signals. I would like clarity on if it's available through the Bluetooth internet plus service?

Does anyone in the US subscribe to the service and get traffic updates?

This includes road conditions and weather I'm assuming?

Traffic from PLUS is available in the US. It may even be free still, it was for a long time. I know that many of the people here use it, and I am sure they will give you the details soon. It is superior to the RDS-TMC delivered traffic.

There is one caveat however. AFAIK, none of the PLUS services are compatible with CDMA based handsets.

Road conditions are included with the PLUS traffic service (one of the benefits over RDS-TMC). Weather is a separate service and is completely free. You don't need to subscribe (apologies if I gave that impression earlier). If you don't enter an username for PLUS (you need a free 'my tomtom' account) you only get current weather, if you have entered your account details (under PLUS services section) you will get the 5-day forecast.

TomTom traffic via internet (not antenna) works for me on my new TT920. I am using my T-Mobile data plan to do this.

TomTom's website did not provide any real info regarding traffic service in the US. So I called TomTom customer service and they said that it is free for the next 3 months... I think they dont have the subscription infrastructure in place...

So if you want to try traffic, give them a call and I am sure they will give it to you free.

Use with T-Zones

I sure wish I could get this working through T-Mobile T-Zones. It sounds like a nice feature, but I'm not willing to upgrade my phone plan to the full internet :(

I sure wish I could get this working through T-Mobile T-Zones. It sounds like a nice feature, but I'm not willing to upgrade my phone plan to the full internet :(

I don't blame you- especially with the questions concerning accuracy!!

yunixx - do you know if the TomTom traffic (internet) works with T-zones? or do you have to have full internet capabilities? I am able to view most webpages via tzones. Could you please list the settings that you use on the TomTom? Thanks

I get nothing but mixed signals on whether or not the Plus Service Traffic (through internet, not through radio signal) is available in the United States.

I just purchased a GO720 based on the Plus Traffic service capabilities. The website clearly states that it is available in the US ....

"The TomTom Traffic service is currently available for Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States."

"Accurate real-time warnings about dangerous road conditions ahead (fog, snow, ice and so on) anywhere in Europe, Australia and the US. (TomTom application version 6.0 or higher)"

.... etc.

After I spent several hours trying to figure out why it was not showing up in Home, I'm now finding out that it is not available. Furthermore, it seems to have been in some state of trial/beta for over a year.

I've tried to call the TT support number countless times and only get a busy. I've also opened an online case, that is yet to be responded to.

This is a very disappointing situation. Before I return the 720, could anybody confirm that they are still providing this service on a free trail basis .... and if it is ever going to be a real supported Plus service offering, in the US.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought it was just something wrong with my TomTom -- but it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem...

I managed to get the Plus services working with my Blackberry 8830 (Verizon), including Traffic. It worked for the first day but now I get a screen that says I need a subscription. There seems to be no way to subscribe in the US, though.

Last edited:
I unchecked the recommended box and saw I could subscribe for 39 pounds, which I think is about 80 dollars. I went to the last step and then regained my senses. Plus traffic would be nice, but not that nice.

I unchecked the recommended box and saw I could subscribe for 39 pounds, which I think is about 80 dollars. I went to the last step and then regained my senses. Plus traffic would be nice, but not that nice.

I saw that too, but it also says that the subscription is only for Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and The United Kingdom.

How does one get traffic working in the US?

How does one get traffic working in the US?

A follow up to my situation. I opened an online case and TT responded today. They gave me free US Traffic Plus through May 2008.

This is a very strange and somewhat frustrating situation TT has created. They advertise that Plus Traffic is available in the US, but there is no way to subscribe. When you question the issue, they just give it to you for free. :confused:

Oh well, I'm happy for now .... just have to see what happens in May.

BTW ... when viewing the Plus Traffic page on tomtom.com, make sure you have United States selected in the top right. The availability info is different from the default UK site.

do you guys have to use your cell phone to use PLUS service? I ask because I was able to get weather report and traffic update through bluetooth through my cell phone after pairing up and creating an arbitary username and password. I never provided any of my info other than an email address. And to top it of, I don't even have a data plan on my cell phone provider ( i might get charged a buttload for tethering i think).

i just called my cell phone service provider and they sent me a txt msg stating I have no kilobyte usage. great!

Last edited:
I thought it was just something wrong with my TomTom -- but it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem...

I managed to get the Plus services working with my Blackberry 8830 (Verizon), including Traffic. It worked for the first day but now I get a screen that says I need a subscription. There seems to be no way to subscribe in the US, though.

FranktheFROWNER:

Are you still FROWNing? I am interested in whether you have solved your problems getting traffic data working on the Blackberry 8830.

But in any event, could you explain what you did, settings or whatever to even get the initial aspects working with VERIZON? Did the phone show up correctly on the TomTom? Other odd tweaks or pretty straight forward?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Got 3 months free

I got mine for free but only until 5/04/08. At that point I have to call and and they may extend it.

How would I get the traffic thing to work in Montreal, Canada? Since it's "free for 3 months" ... do I just call tomTom?

Ask a Question