Please prevent me from returning this POS

Longtime Garmin user here, converted over to the go720 as I felt the unit had superior features and offered an exceptional value.

Now I want to keep this unit, I really do, but there are a few things at the moment that are preventing me from doing so.

First of all, in Seattle when driving the map frequently changes color. It goes from blue, to red, to light brown, and continually cycles as I drive.

Secondly, I am experiencing some pretty terrible gps drift, it shows my car as moving when I am standing still.

Thirdly, unlike my past garmin units, the gps signal on this unit is absolutely terrible. When in a tunnel or even an overpass I lose signal. I thought with the new SIDSTAR III that was an issue of the past.

Points of interest seem terrible and outdated.

When on a stretch of highway it constantly breaks up the total distance. EX. 1.5 miles go straight, then it will say 2.0 miles go straight, 3.0 miles continue going straight.. Why not just one full 7.5 miles? It is afterall the same highway.

I LOVE the FM transmitter, voice recognition works well also.

Please tell me if there are some easy fixes to my problem, I want to keep this unit I really do.

Thank you.!

Longtime Garmin user here, converted over to the go720 as I felt the unit had superior features and offered an exceptional value.

Now I want to keep this unit, I really do, but there are a few things at the moment that are preventing me from doing so.

First of all, in Seattle when driving the map frequently changes color. It goes from blue, to red, to light brown, and continually cycles as I drive.

Secondly, I am experiencing some pretty terrible gps drift, it shows my car as moving when I am standing still.

Thirdly, unlike my past garmin units, the gps signal on this unit is absolutely terrible. When in a tunnel or even an overpass I lose signal. I thought with the new SIDSTAR III that was an issue of the past.

Points of interest seem terrible and outdated.

When on a stretch of highway it constantly breaks up the total distance. EX. 1.5 miles go straight, then it will say 2.0 miles go straight, 3.0 miles continue going straight.. Why not just one full 7.5 miles? It is afterall the same highway.

I LOVE the FM transmitter, voice recognition works well also.

Please tell me if there are some easy fixes to my problem, I want to keep this unit I really do.

Thank you.!

Well, you may be seeing the unit change from day colurs to night colours depending upon the ambient light hitting the unit. If you feel that isn't the issue, you may have a faulty unit.

Regarding the drift, when was the last time you downloaded a gps quickfix file? A current one may help.

The 720 model can lose a gps signal depending upon what's blocking it such as tunnels, high buildings, etc. ALL brands can do that, regardless of chip. The 9x0 models have something called EPT to help compensate for loss of gps signal.

POI's for TomToms are weaker than say, for Garmins. Fortunately, there are lots of websites for free downloading of poi's for many categories.

The comment about the breaking up of highway distance ... more than likely when it tells you to, for example, 'stay left for 2 miles', it's at a juncture where there is a major getoff from the highway and it's a way to remind the driver to keep going on the road he or she is on. I personally like the way that's handled, some do not.

If your garmin gets a lock in tunnels (which it doesn't) then get another garmin with SIDSTAR III:p . When you are off roads and it is trying to snap to a road, that is not drifting but you already knew that didn't you. Unless the name of the highway changed, its highly unlikely that it directed you to go straight 3 times on a 7 mile trip. It might have said keep in the left lane or something like that which can also be turned off. POI's do suck on tomtom 720.

Its just a device to make your life easier. If you are not comfortable with firmware upgrades and maintaining your device atleast on a weekly basis then this is not for you. Its your money use it where you think you will be happy.

Seattle, here, too.

As mentioned, you either have a defective unit or the PERMANENT GRAY DAYS have even confused your gps' light sensor. You can test it by covering the sensor location which is one of those two "holes" on the chrome trim above the screen.

And, yes, the division of miles, particularly I-5 is because the road either is intersecting with a major turn off or the road it swinging more than gently to the left or right.

Its POI database is not the best but it can be supplemented. I had my garmin 76cs and the TT920 along on a trip to Canada and the Garmin did have more points of interest. Also, there are ways to get the 920 POI database which has more poi's then the 720 but I don't have any links.

You can prevent the GPS from talking too much by going to the Speech Preferences and 'Disable Early Warning ...', 'Disable Keep to Highway lane' ...

Seattle, here, too.

As mentioned, you either have a defective unit or the PERMANENT GRAY DAYS have even confused your gps' light sensor. You can test it by covering the sensor location which is one of those two "holes" on the chrome trim above the screen.

And, yes, the division of miles, particularly I-5 is because the road either is intersecting with a major turn off or the road it swinging more than gently to the left or right.

Its POI database is not the best but it can be supplemented. I had my garmin 76cs and the TT920 along on a trip to Canada and the Garmin did have more points of interest. Also, there are ways to get the 920 POI database which has more poi's then the 720 but I don't have any links.

I am currently installing the newest 7.20 maps so we shall see if that fixes anything.

I don't think it had anything to do with dimming, could have been I was passing over areas close to water. It would cycle from blue to the normal light brown color, every 2 seconds. The routing was decent, but hopefully this update makes things better.

As for garmin's not working in tunnels, that is just not true. In fact my Nuvi 360 would work in the bathroom and pickup satellites.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I am currently installing the newest 7.20 maps so we shall see if that fixes anything.

I don't think it had anything to do with dimming, could have been I was passing over areas close to water. It would cycle from blue to the normal light brown color, every 2 seconds. The routing was decent, but hopefully this update makes things better.

As for garmin's not working in tunnels, that is just not true. In fact my Nuvi 360 would work in the bathroom and pickup satellites.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Don't discount the idea that you just might have a bad unit. I consistently get 10-12 sat lock inside my house, and even under my computer table.

As for the POIs, well that's a weakness with TT. I did an extensive study and found that the 9x0 and the 7x0 units DO NOT have the same POI db. Matter of fact many have copied the POI files from the larger NA maps to their smaller 7x0 maps. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get the 2 GIG NA maps from TT. That POI file is much more extensive, though not organized as nice as Garmin. I would say if you like features, lots of software upgrades, some nice 3rd party apps, and a wide user community, stay with TT. Personally I couldn't get over the map gui for Garmin....it looks too much like a 4 year old drawing with crayons.

Don't discount the idea that you just might have a bad unit. I consistently get 10-12 sat lock inside my house, and even under my computer table.

As for the POIs, well that's a weakness with TT. I did an extensive study and found that the 9x0 and the 7x0 units DO NOT have the same POI db. Matter of fact many have copied the POI files from the larger NA maps to their smaller 7x0 maps. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get the 2 GIG NA maps from TT. That POI file is much more extensive, though not organized as nice as Garmin. I would say if you like features, lots of software upgrades, some nice 3rd party apps, and a wide user community, stay with TT. Personally I couldn't get over the map gui for Garmin....it looks too much like a 4 year old drawing with crayons.

Thanks for commenting.

I agree with you about garmin's interface being very cookie cutter. It always killed me when there were only 3 options to do anything. I was really wanting MORE, and the TT has given me that.

I just hope these other kinks get worked out.

No GPS will work in tunnels not even your 360. there's a big difference between your bathroom with it's few inches of material between you and the sky and a tunnel with dozens to hundreds of feet of dirt or water between you and the satellites. Granted some use fancy devices and algorithms to simulate them working but they're just fooling you. :) My 720 will even keep moving me when I go under the river here. and I know it's not picking up satellites under 75' of water, steel and concrete.

Having said all that, you may have a defective unit. I recommend downloading Gpsfix and see if that helps. Upon initial acquisition it takes the GPS several minutes to download the ephermis data with no fluctuations (passing under a tree, next to a tall building, etc) if you don't have the up to date gpsfix data. That's why the gps makers provide that file, so your unit will acquire faster and make us happier. :)

No GPS will work in tunnels not even your 360. there's a big difference between your bathroom with it's few inches of material between you and the sky and a tunnel with dozens to hundreds of feet of dirt or water between you and the satellites. Granted some use fancy devices and algorithms to simulate them working but they're just fooling you. :) My 720 will even keep moving me when I go under the river here. and I know it's not picking up satellites under 75' of water, steel and concrete.

Having said all that, you may have a defective unit. I recommend downloading Gpsfix and see if that helps. Upon initial acquisition it takes the GPS several minutes to download the ephermis data with no fluctuations (passing under a tree, next to a tall building, etc) if you don't have the up to date gpsfix data. That's why the gps makers provide that file, so your unit will acquire faster and make us happier. :)

Good response as well, thanks!

PS. Does anyone experience the pointer/car icon moving side to side when they are driving and the map is zoomed in?

I too am unhappy with my 920 over a disappointing lack of points of interest. Is there a POI database somewhere we can download and store in our TTs?

The 920 has the most complete POI database of TT models and most are happy with it. There are many web sites with specific POIs (restaurant chains, coffe shops, groceries, gas stations etc.) but if you expect the yellow and white pages directories of every city in the USA, forget it. Even if it was available, I doubt there is sufficient storage to hold it on the TT... Also, if it was available and you turned the POI warnings, it would slow the 920 so much you could barely use it as it would spend too much time searching for them to show on the map!

First of all, in Seattle when driving the map frequently changes color. It goes

There is a preference setting to turn off this automatic Day/Night selection. I turned this off and then added the Day/Night to the shortcut menu.

Ask a Question