Please help -- TomTom One freezes/restarts when calculating routes

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One new ed.
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've already learned quite a bit here about my new TomTom One.

I got the tt1 on Friday and thought it was working great. Then I noticed that--
when it's asked to calculate certain routes, it will freeze, and restart after about 20 seconds

It hangs at the place where the bar graph at the bottom would normally move as it looks at streets. The bargraph never goes anywhere and there is no message.

Here's what I've tried so far --

-Restoring the original backup I made when I got the device. No change.
-Using a different SD card -- no change.
-Using the "clear flash" utility -- no change.
-Resetting to factory settings via the menu -- no difference.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It's only a problem for certain geographic regions. For some places it works normally, but for others it hangs. And it's completely consistent that way -- it's not random.

Here is my device info:

TomTom One new edition
app 6.560 OS:1713
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.05
Map: USA_and_Canada v665.1293
Language: English US

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to deal with this.

Please dont post the same question on different forums.

Yes, I also had this problem with my first 910.
I suggest to exchange it for another unit.

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry about the double-posting. I sent a message to TomTom and hope to get a reply soon. I was hoping it was software related so I didn't have to return it, but I have a feeling it is hardware.

Hello -- yes, I tried a soft reset and it doesn't seem to help.

What is the route that you are trying to plan?

If you let us know, other people can try to plan it and maybe give you an indication of why it is failing. It may be map (data) or hardware related.

There are many that fail. It seems to be in certain areas. For example:

20 Laurelwood Road, Rutland, MA to city center of Worcester, MA.

Same problem here. I cant plan a route from manchester NJ to kearny NJ when im in manchester. If I drive toward kearny about 30 min then i can plan the route. Ive also had other strange routing problems like, in the middle of the garden state parkway, it wanted me to do a 90 degree left turn across on comming traffic and go about 1 mile then do a 180 and come back to the same lane i was in. Also, I missed one exit and my eta went from 18min to 4 hours and I was home in 25 min.
I have backdated my map software to V660.1215 (from my gf's tomtom) and now I can route no problem. Id like to get the newer map software working though.
Here are combos Ive tried:
Home V 6.560 and Map V660.1215 - Works Perfectly
Home V 6.560 and Map V665.1293 - Error as stated above
Home V7.162 and Map V660.1215 - Works Perfectly
Home V7.162 and Map V665.1293 - Error as stated above

Looks like a map software problem.

Ive had the exact same problem. Sometimes it would just sit on the opening screen and I could not even turn it off. I have fixed the problem and its been working now for 3 month. I formated the SD card and downloaded everything again. It worked after that. Not sure if there was something wrong with the software. Try that. Like I said all is good with mine now!

Turned out to be corrupt maps

Hello,

My problem was fixed by a very helpful phone call to TomTom. This guy patiently eliminated one thing after another, until he realized it could only be a corrupt map file. So he made a new set of maps available to me through TomTom home, and when I downloaded them everything worked perfectly.

I'm very happy with their customer support.

I'm having the exact same problem... just bought a TomTom One LE from BestBuy. My first test route was from my home (in Fort Myers, FL) to the airport... gets to about 81% calculating route, freezes then restarts.

I guess I'll try to down load new maps - I already did all the updates using TomTom Home which didn't help.

Does anyone no off hand how to get new or different or non corrupt maps? I also don't know anything about the SD card... is there information anywhere about resetting this stuff?

I've found TomTom's support site to be somewhat useless and extremely slow.

Have you guy's tried to run scandisk. I had the route freeze problem too. I ran scandisk and fixed errors on tomtom one's drive then everything worked fine. Just select scan and fix error's. I've found this problem is a result of diconnecting tomtom from pc and not using safely remove from pc.

no luck

so I used TomTom Home 2 to check for new maps. It found brand new maps for USA and Canada. Downloaded and installed those but it still hangs and restarts when I try to navigate to my local airport.

I'm trying to go from 15749 Beachcomber Ave, Fort Myers, FL to RSW (Regional Southwest Florida airport).

The airport access road changed about a year or so ago so i'm wondering if it's an address/map issue.

Anyways... any other suggestions. I bought this for my wife and I'd hate for her to be somewhere and not be able to get directions because it restarts. If this is not reliable I'll have to return and perhaps get a Garmin.

Using App 7.162 (8492/071121) OS:2327
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3026
Map USA_and_Canada v710.1575

Still no response from TomTom.

Ask a Question