please help! newbie here

i just purchased a TTonexl and when i hooked it uyp to our car my position was off by about a block. now i've read that make sure unit has the latest software updates installed, so i used the disc that came with the unit and installed tthome version 1. ? ? ? whatever, it then checks for update and shows the update as 7. ? ? whatever. it asks to install update now...i say "yes" then it says to make backup...which i did.
after backup is made i select install to tomtom and it comes up with an error " an error occured while unpacking compressed file"" . i try get update again...once it downloads i select it to install and same error message?
also another screen popped up once to upgrade tthome to version 2.? ? ? whatever, i said ok... it deleted first version and about half way through it gave a "CRC error that install shield will have to abort.

i am running windows xp , sounds like maybe a puter prob to me? or can anyone shed some light regarding the errors?

thanks in advance!

ok i've managed to download and install TThome ver 2.
however when i click update tomtom it downloads the update and then when going to install i get this error:

INVALID ARCHIVE/c:?mydocuments?tomtom/home/navcore_7.12.8459.navcore7.cab

tried downloading a new one and get same error when installing?

can anyone shed some light on what i may be doing wrong?

ok managed to get new application installed and voices after formatting the device, now i need to install the map of usa and canada.
tech on phone thought i may have a corrupt map, that is why my TT1xl shows me a block away from my actual position when hooked up in my vehicle. so i downloaded a new map.
after downloading it goes to install and i get the message of .cab file not found. tried rebooting pc...still same thing, shut off antivirus, did a defrag...still same thing.
cannot talk to a tech tonight as business hrs are closed, can anyone help me out here? before i throw this thing through the window? (should've bought a garmin)

Three posts in a row without anyone helping. Sorry, but I'm not knowledgeable in these things, but usually the forum members are more helpful.

usa_canada.cab it was the map.
i got even more probs now LOL, since i had tthome version 2 installed i thought that that was too buggy...therefore i deleted it and installed version 1 again....now it won't find device. i know when i was on the phone with the tech he had me delete all my old tthome and map, application etc that were on my puter, even had me format the device 2 x , i thought now i seen the sign on tthome when it couldn't find the device saying that if files were loaded other than using tthome device may not be found, so i formatted again, still cannot find device, i guess now i'm hooped? unless i can somehow find a way to download tthome version 2 and see if that detects device.

It sounds like you are trying to install something that is not there. It may be that there is a .toc file lingering fooling HOME that its at a certain location but it is not.

Do you have a backup of the map? You may have to exchange or call support to get a new map of USA/Canada.

well i took the TTonexl back to future shop and exchanged it for another... didn't do a thing to the unit once i got it, noticed every time i turn the gps showed on the map i was a block away from where i actually was...and also at other random times it shows me veering off course when i am not, therefore i also took that unit back and he gave me one from a different truck as the truck just came in today....needless to say it does the same thing as the second unit, once i veer off course (and i repaeat i am not going off course) the damn thing keeps telling me to turn around...then it corrects itself after 30 secs or so...then good for another minute...then same thing.

is this common with all tomtoms? you would think for the 400.00 i spent this thing would be very accurate? or maybe i should get a garmin? i don't know sheesh!

It may be the sat connection isn't strong enough. How many sats do you have when traveling that particular route? It seems the magic number is 4 in order to get an accurate position.

i didn't look while i was driving, but i know that at home i receive at least 7 sats. this route isn't very far from home.

after trying 3 different ttonexl's and had the same thing happen (would show me a block away) even though i had good sat strength, i paid the extra bucks and got a garmin nuvi360. no issues at all with this baby!
thanks for your help anyway.

Ask a Question