Please help! My TOMTOM just had a huge brain fart

I just bought a TomTom GO 720 two days ago, and I love it. It is very accurate and I love the interface. However, until now a whole bunch of BS happened.

1.I connect the dock to my computer, put on the device, log on TomTom Home (the most updated version, everything worked before), I get this error message
"the internet server is not working" or something like that, i thought, ok no big deal maybe the server is just down.
2. I disconnect the dock (safely) and device to try to get it to work by plugging it back in, then my computer gives me "usb device not recognized, the usb may be malfuncionted (or something like that)

3. Disconnect everything (safely) turn on my tomtom, oh no! it wont turn on! i resetted it, then it turned on, but that scared me. why did it do that? why didnt it turn on? im afraid its malfuntioned or something, please help! is this normal?

as i type this, i am backing up my tomtom in the TTH. oddly enough, the TTH server is still down, but i hit "back" and its the same screen i would get if it were up. exept i cannot ionstall the updates, but right now i am backing it up and its working.

is this normal? is my tomtom screwed up!?!??!?!?!

please help!!!

ps i am running vista home premium, but that shouldnt make a difference since it always worked before, and no i didnt drop the device

"the internet server is not working" or something like that, i thought, ok no big deal maybe the server is just down.

2. I disconnect the dock (safely) and device to try to get it to work by plugging it back in, then my computer gives me "usb device not recognized, the usb may be malfuncionted (or something like that)

3. Disconnect everything (safely) turn on my tomtom, oh no! it wont turn on! i resetted it, then it turned on, but that scared me. why did it do that? why didnt it turn on? im afraid its malfuntioned or something, please help! is this normal?

is this normal? is my tomtom screwed up!?!??!?!?!

i am running vista home premium,

Yes, the servers do indeed go down time to time and i've seen that message plenty.

I found my USB ports in rear of puter work more reliable then the front case mounted ones. BTW: you probably know this, but ANY usb cable with proper ends will work instead of that big ass TT supplied dock.

You do kinda have to hold that power button a long time. I'm thinking at least a second or two.

Hopefully, you ain't got a bad unit. Talk to it nicely and possibly things will clear up.

When you say you disconnected the dock and device. Did you select disconnect device from the toolbar on TTH before you unplugged it or did you select remove hardware from the Vista task bar? If you did it from within Vista that may be your problem. It just had a bad shutdown and the reset most likely cleared it up and you'll have no more issues. Always select disconnect device from within TTH and wait till it gives you the "ok to disconnect device" screen before you unplug it from the dock.

Even when TTHome says it's ok to disconnect, it is NOT. The data is still not completely written to the internal memory. You should wait till the unit's screen shows the progress bar has completely finished writing to the memory, then exit TTHome, power down the unit.

Ask a Question