Please help - Map overlays

Just got a 720, very impressed so far.

Map overlays is not something I got into with my 710 and looks like I aint getting into it with the 720.

!!!!!!

I have gone by the letter with the instructions.

Created a .sat file (east.sat)

east.gif

Created a .gif called east.gif

put them both in the folder \raster

But no show.

!?

Please help

I think the problem is that you are using a *.gif and not a *jpg file

I used a program call DomDomMaps (along with Google Earth) on my ONE LE to create raster maps and it seemed to workout pretty well. I needed to adjust the lat and long a bit to align the streets exactly, but I was pretty happy with the results.
Here is a translated version of the DomDomMaps page:
>>> DomDomMaps <<<

Here is an example screen shot of a raster image on my TomTom:
tomtom_raster.gif

Same problem-tried everything

I think the problem is that you are using a *.gif and not a *jpg file

I used a program call DomDomMaps (along with Google Earth) on my ONE LE to create raster maps and it seemed to workout pretty well. I needed to adjust the lat and long a bit to align the streets exactly, but I was pretty happy with the results.
Here is a translated version of the DomDomMaps page:
>>> DomDomMaps <<<

Here is an example screen shot of a raster image on my TomTom:
tomtom_raster.gif

I'm having the same problem. Followed the directions EXACTLY but no show. Wondering what I'm doing wrong. I have a 720. I've tried both .jpg and .gif neither works. I read somewhere that TomTom only will recognize Linux text files because of carriage returns. I did my text editing in NOTEPAD and saved it as a .sat file. When that didn?t work I used EOL software to convert the file to Linux. Still no luck.

I looked at some .sat files that came in the North America files, and they showed the longitude coordinates with a ? in front of them. Maybe that is normal for this part of the world. (I live in Minnesota). So I tried putting a ? in front, still no show.

Here is an example of the files from TomTom in the USA:

-

Here is the file I created:

palmer.jpg

Notice in this example I have the ? in front of the Longitude, but I?ve tried it both ways.

I?ve double checked my coordinates, and tried changing the .sat file a bunch of different ways, but nothing works. Is there a setting on my 720 I?m not doing? (I have show images checked) Or do you have to do a hard reset after copying the files to the raster folder?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

-Really Frustrated

I did my text editing in NOTEPAD and saved it as a .sat file. When that didn’t work I used EOL software to convert the file to Linux. Still no luck.

Just an idea, but did you make sure that the .txt file wasn't there(sometimes it's hidden by windows)

when you save, make sure you select "all files"

does the file icon look like other .sat files?

You might also try copying a known working tomtom file (like the ones pre-loaded on the 920 and 720) and pasting it into your text editor. Then copy that file back to the TomTom. If it doesn't work you will know the editor is the problem.

I edited all my file with the unix text editor vi so there was no problem. But wait a minute.... I think I see a problem with the example you posted. The FIRST LINE of the file must contain ONLY A MINUS SIGN AND A CARRIAGE RETURN. The example file you posted contains this, but your version does not....

1. I did make sure the file is a .sat file, and the icons are the same as the factory files. I've been creating the files in Notepad, but I also did a unix conversion. Tried it both ways.

2. The instructions at TT to create your own overlay says the first line must be the name of the image file you are going to use. The - sign is in all of the TT factory files first line. But the instructions say to use the file name first?? Also, I thought of that once, and tried just a - but no luck.

-Still really Frustrated

I just had another thought... In Notepad, when saving you can choose saving as ANSI, Unicode, or UTF-8. Any idea if one is better than the other?

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Would sure like to talk to someone that has succesfully put a map overlay on their 720. I would love to see their .sat file and image to give it a try!

again thanks for your help...

Mark

I loaded quite a large number of them onto my 920T, covering a good portion of the southern half of NJ. I used the same file naming convention as the pre-installed low res satellite images (with the map name and coordinates), and the first line of each .sat file is a dash as I suggested. Everything worked as expected on the first try.

I don't have my TomTom or backup disk here, but I can post an example later if you're still having problems.

I just tried it on my 720. Here's my settings:
here's my home.sat file:

home.jpg

I used notepad in windows XP. Notepad is set to save to ANSI
home.jpg is 71KB
I can only see the overlay in "browse map" mode, not when navigating.
The options in browse map show "images" with a checkmark.
The jpg and sat files are in the internal memory, in the "raster" folder.

DomDOm Maps' .sat file

I was also following the instructions from create.tomtom.com with any result, I mean after copy my jpg and sat file the overlay was not showing up in browse mode :mad:

I was able to download overlays from Tomtom that are simply working :eek:

This is was I found:

The overlays downloaded from Tomtom contains 3 files:
sample1.jpg
sample1.sat
sample1.tlv

Where is the file sample1.tlv coming from and/or how to create it...I couldn't found anything solid on the internet or other forums...but the first line in the sample1.sat is actually sample1.jpg (as create.tomtom.com says)

I follow the instructions posted by Birdman [thank you sir, it is a terrific job] and it works! two files were created:
sample2.jpg
sample2.sat

but the first line in sample2.sat is just - (just a dash! no the name of the jpg file :eek: )

I decided to change the .sat files of the overlay that I created and install them again ...and they worked perfectly! :D

Conclusion:
Seems like if the .sat file contains the jpg file name on the first line, you need a 3rd file; tlv (no idea how to create it though) :(

If you only have 2 files; .jpg and .sat then the first line in the .sat file should be - (dash), the rest of the file should be as create.tomtom.com explains [but remember, the first line is - despite of the instructions...]

BTW: I am using notepad on XP without any problem...

Hope it helps!

I struggled for a bit with map overlays on my 720 but found a good solution. The standard text editors on windows or mac use characters and encoding unsupported by the TomTom OS (essentially Linux). I used a different UNIX-based text editor called Vim to create my .sat file.

Download Vim here: Windows - Mac

It looks intimidating at first, but behaves exactly like any other text editor. Press "I" and INPUT should be displayed in the bottom corner - now you can type.

Here's my .sat file (both my .sat file and image are in the attached .zip - open my .sat file, edit as you want, and rename it - should work fine):

-

What's important is that you name the .jpg, .bmp, or .gif image file the same as the .sat file, and that the lat/long coordinates contain 5 significant figures to the right of the decimal point (fill unused figures with zeros).

When saving your .sat file specify the full extension - and Vim will do the rest (ex: save as: cumap.sat).

The .tlv file is generated by the TT device - you do not have to supply that file.

Attachments

• cumap.zip
    412.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

Ask a Question