Please Help...lost original app on xxl540

jmr

Hello...hopefully someone can help me.

I just got a xxl540tm today. Turns out the one in the box was actually a WTE. I have the added benefit of 4 gigs of space(who knew?). However, as I was tweaking it and adding poi's etc, I went to operate it in TTHome. But it said it wasn't the right device, operating system, etc. and therefore, wouldn't operate it. I checked out some of the threads here., then I deleted the loose files in the root directory and forced an update of the application. Unfortunately, the only one that came up was version 8.551...the one I had originally was 9.053 (or something like that). Now I can't find the backup I made of the original (ok...call me stooopid).

I can manage to access the unit itself as a windows drive, but it will not turn on beyond that. I've seen similar posts like this on the forum, but I'm not too sure what to do now. Can anybody please help me?! Thanks

Did you make the backup using Home or Explorer? If Home then open Home and in the Tools menu, the location of the backup files will be shown.

Also, you can try this:
Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents now after connecting to your computer.

Next, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit. NO Folders or their contents.

Then go here and download the application. Use WinRar to install on the unit, overwriting as necessary. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer. See if that works.

If so, make another Explorer backup.

Thanks. By install on the unit, do you mean unpack the archived application right onto the units drive?

dhn! You're a lifesaver, not to mention a genius!! Thanks a million. (Backing up properly now)

After it installs 8.551 home should ask to restart the tomtom and search for further updates. It should find 9.053 on the second attempt.

Hoping someone in this thread can help me as well... I had the same exact problem!

I just received my XXL 540tm WTE from tomtom website a few days back and it was bricked on start up right out of the box; could not get past the tomtom with hands screen and resets only led to green screens. Unfortunately I never knew to make an initial backup of the device before I started to try updating to fix it. tomtomHOME would always download a different sized app for my tomtom but the system stayed bricked...

I followed DHN's advice from this thread and it got my tomtom up and running however my tomtom always shows as just a removeable drive letter D and without the tomtom icon now and installs to "memory card" instead of "internal memory". It's not really a problem except that I am permanently stuck on program/Navigator 8.551 now and HOME 2.8.0.2146 finds no updates for my device after several repeated tries.

TomTomHOME see's my device as XXL 540S World Edition
My device claims it is a one xxl IQ routes ed.
I have seen sizes from 9 megs to 27 megs when tomtomHOME attempted to download app for my device previously; the current app shows as 40mb in TTH as supplied by DHN in this thread.

HOME system information shows this...

Error incident IDs = 31346081, 31346089, 31387460, 31536731, 31562160
Installed add-ons = Map status indicator 1.7.1, TomTom HOME default theme 1.0.2, Emulator 9.058.568435.1

ttgo.bif file contents:
[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XXL IQ Routes
DeviceSerialNumber=(will give out if needed)
DeviceUniqueID=(will give out if needed)
RamDiskVersion=20100825
BootLoaderVersion=55274
LinuxVersion=541764
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9058
ApplicationVersion=568435.1

that app number does not match... please help me get my files straight! This is a pita for a device right out of the box. I don't want to have to manually update or go through loops every single time I need to change this device. As far as any of that info in the .bif file actually being correct for what is on the device I can't say as the app version is obviously showing what came preinstalled but which isn't on the device. I obviously picked what I thought was valid info from the sys info, if more is needed please let me know.

Any help is appreciated,

jupitersj

Last edited:
Don't worry about the difference between what the unit shows on screen and using Home.

Well, make an Explorer, NOT Home backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Now, remove all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and accept the application offered. Install. Remove the unit from Home PROPERLY using the Device Disconnect icon. Start the unit up. Is it working properly?

Check the application version by tapping the satellite bars. The next screen shows the version number. To be honest, if things are working properly at this point, I would not try for a further application update BUT I would make another Explorer backup to a different folder.

I have done everything you have listed in your post prior as I have listed it in my post(I could have been clearer on that point sorry ^.^) Is there a reason I should be attempting this again(missing tomtom/battery icons from initial install etc..though not in cab)?

Yes, the satt bars do show ver 9.058. I'll assume I really do have 9.058 as I see the cab file is 9.058.go540-go740_navcore-GO and obviously HOME is not updated to recognize this new app software and/or it's just a misread of an old config file or some such nonsense? =)

I am one of those "keep bios/drivers/app" armchair updated people with hardware and just want to make sure I don't have to make a doughnut for every simple thing in the future of owning this unit, so if I come off harsh I mean nothing by it; I do appreciate the help.

Am I off the hook at this point? Unfortunately I haven't had time for a driving testrun in the car with the traffic transceiver attached due to being snowed in. I did grab the 860 maps(na/ca/mex + euro west) and if everything seems fine I can now enter my lifetime of device codes. I wanted to make sure as the 7 day return window is so small.

thanks again dhn

Well, if things seem to be operating properly (don't worry if mapshares are not..... it's not a big loss), then that is good news but DO make the Explorer backup now if you haven't already.

Did you make the backup using Home or Explorer? If Home then open Home and in the Tools menu, the location of the backup files will be shown.

Also, you can try this:
Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents now after connecting to your computer.

Next, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit. NO Folders or their contents.

Then go here and download the application. Use WinRar to install on the unit, overwriting as necessary. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer. See if that works.

If so, make another Explorer backup.

Well That did it for me :D
Huge thanks, same unit as the person here a 540TM 4GB, which got updated by home at 9.056 thus loosing features.

With 9.058 all is working (except Mapshare but that seems more an issue related to Map v860 then the apps, so will wait for TT to correct that)

In the mean , I can play with all the features... Thanks again dhn,
_pat

Ask a Question