playing songs in order?? playlist help

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
i would like to know how to get my unit to play songs in the right order.
now it will play them in alphabetacle order. i tried to make a playlist using windows media player, but after i made it, i tried a hundred thigs to make it work.
can anybody tell me how to make the songd play in order or
step by step instruction on how to create a playlist and get it into my tomtom.

any help at all would be great.

thank you,

Tony

I THINK the easiest way is to play ALBUMS - it then seems to play them in order but you will need TRACK info in the mp3 tags. I use it for Classical music and also found the Alpha play stupid!

I finally got Playlists to work (I think - notice that "I THINK!!!")

I created some on my computer but changed the extension to PLA and copied it into the mp3 folder. I also EDITED out any reference to PATH or folder information. Apparently, the TT can find the mp3 files after it indexes them. So the Playlist does not have to reference any folder information.

First: How did you get the music on your device? Do you know if the mp3 files have TAGS. The tags are internal and there are freeware programs that will allow you to edit them.

But Media Player should show the information. See if the tunes have an ALBUM title associated with them. If so, when you open the TT media player, it shows how you may select items. If you select ALBUMS, I believe that they will be shown and played in the correct order.

For Playlists, they are generally in a form like:

XXXX (header info)
File info

Like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:540,Barber - Barber Adagio
Barber\Barber Adagio.mp3
#EXTINF:773,Clarinet Quintet Bm Op115 & Clarinet Trio Am Op114 - Benson King Ge
Brahms Clarinet Quintet Bm Op115 - Benson King Georgian\Brahms - Clarinet Quint
#EXTINF:813,Brahms Symphony No 4 - Brahms Sym4 Allegro non troppo
Brahms Symphony No 4\Brahms Sym4 1Allegro non troppo.mp3
#EXTINF:477,Dvorak American Quartet Piano Quintet - 'American': Lento
Dvorak American Quartet\Dvorak American Quartet 06.mp3

Originally the info on the lines that contain the mp3 file info, also had a drive (and possibly subfolder info from where you had them on your Hard disk)

So that Barber entry originally read:

c:\my mp3\files\Barber\Barber Adagio.mp3

The Dvorak one was

c:\my mp3\files\Dvorak.......xxxx....mp3

I removed the information such as

c:\my mp3\files

from each line using a text editor (notepad)

Saved the fileas:

Mixed Classical.PLA

the "pla" is the file extension read by TT.

i will try that

have not tried playing them using the "ALBUM" button.
I will try that when i get back home tonight. sounds like it makes sense.

thank you and i'll post when/if I get it working

thank you

well, that was easy. just use the album button. who would have thought lol
i'v spent so much time playing with this thing that i now make the easy things more complicated then they really are. now i feel kind of dumb.

thank you for the help

Tony

well, that was easy. just use the album button. who would have thought lol
i'v spent so much time playing with this thing that i now make the easy things more complicated then they really are. now i feel kind of dumb.

thank you for the help

Tony

That's okay. I had exactly the same question since my Classical music really is dependent on movements playing in the correct order (at least, tradiionally, anyway).

But I also wanted to get the playlist functioning so that I could create individual "albums" and string together Favorite tunes, movements, etc. from different REAL albums.

This is what I just did and it worked and is easy.

Copy all of the mp3s that you want into your mp3 directory on your TomTom. Open Winamp, which is free, and add the songs you want in your playlist. Save the playlist to the same location on your TomTom as the mp3s as an m3u type playlist and give it a name like "playlistname.pla". Remember to change the file extension to ".pla". This will give you a playlist without any file paths that need to be changed so you're done!

Ken

This is what I just did and it worked and is easy.

Copy all of the mp3s that you want into your mp3 directory on your TomTom. Open Winamp, which is free, and add the songs you want in your playlist. Save the playlist to the same location on your TomTom as the mp3s as an m3u type playlist and give it a name like "playlistname.pla". Remember to change the file extension to ".pla". This will give you a playlist without any file paths that need to be changed so you're done!

Ken

That is probably the simplest way. But it "violates" my need for some order.:eek:

I keep stuff in subfolders by either composer or album. That creates hassles for the way the playlists are created.

That is probably the simplest way. But it "violates" my need for some order.:eek:

I keep stuff in subfolders by either composer or album. That creates hassles for the way the playlists are created.
I just tried it with subdirectories and that works also. The key is to put the files on the TomTom before making the playlists. Then make and save the playlist also on the TomTom. It will then use relative directories and not need to use drive letters which screws things up. :)

I just tried it with subdirectories and that works also. The key is to put the files on the TomTom before making the playlists. Then make and save the playlist also on the TomTom. It will then use relative directories and not need to use drive letters which screws things up. :)

I could not get it to work with relative directories. I had to copy everything flat. Do you mind posting a sample of your playlist file?

Ask a Question