Playing music off SD card in GO 740 Live TM

FNG

TomTom Model(s)
GO 740 Live TM
I purchased my first GPS device recently, a GO 740 TM, and one reason was because I read that an iPod could be connected to play music. Sweet! So after I get it, I discovered that trying to find the cable to connect the iPod was pretty damn tough (at least in the States). So I figured I could load up a micro SD card with music and use that. When I go through the Music menu options, I don't see the SD card anywhere. Is it possible to play music via an SD card in my GO 740 or am I SOL?

Is it possible to play music via an SD card in my GO 740 or am I SOL?
For whatever reason, the brilliant marketing wonks at TomTom dropped the player that worked off MP3's in the TomTom memory (internal or SD) somewhere between the 730 and the 740. The 940 still has one, but they don't sell that model in the U.S.

I'd also be curious as to where you got a dock for your 740TM that has an audio-out connection of any kind to hook up to that cable you were having trouble finding.

It's odd, the iPod option is in the Music menu screen when I turn on my 740. However, when I connect to TomTom Home and go to the same Music menu, the Jukebox option appears alongside it. I don't think there is a port to connect the iPod to, at least not that I can find. I did, however, read about that option when doing my research. That doesn't stop TomTom from including in the menu, obviously

You will need the accessory dock to connect the iPOD as the standard dock only has the mini USB socket for power.

The accessory dock has three connections on the rear, the mini USB for power, a 1/8" Audio Line out socket to route sound via your cars aux input and the final socket which can be used for either the RDS-TMC receiver OR the iPOD assuming you can source the special cable.

Note when an iPOD is plugged in to the accessory mount it doesn't get any power so it will run flat rather quickly.

As for a memory card your 740 has a micro SD card slot in the base which can accept a card upto and including 32GB in capacity (plenty of music), to play music on the 740 without connecting an iPOD you can use one of the third party add on applications such as MobileNova.

As for strange behaviour and options when plugged in to the PC and connected to the Home software, I would get used to it, nothing that useless software does is a surprise anymore, the less you use it the better it gets IMHO - Mike

As for a memory card your 740 has a micro SD card slot in the base which can accept a card upto and including 32GB in capacity (plenty of music), to play music on the 740 without connecting an iPOD you can use one of the third party add on applications such as MobileNova.

I have a 940 Go device and I looked as Mobilnova at: Mobilnova - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

It seems that playing MP3 using Mobilnova software while also doing navigation is no longer possible - refer to the knowledge base answers - they are blaming the Tom Tom new software.

I wanted to see if I can get a better MP3 player software to run on my 940 Go Live device - but it seems I can not - also it seems the Mobilnova seem to suggest their software be installed on SD card rather than internal memory.

The niggle I have with the built in MP3 player on my 940 is that it does not provide any features at all while used on a journey (obviously while also navigating) - so wanted to see if any third party software can give more control but apparently no such luck. I need features such as skip a track completely from a playlist, skip forward a bit in the same track etc. The MP3 player on my old Garmin allowed me to skip a track completely and play the next track.

To fast forward through a track or go backwards through it simply press and hold the "Next Track" or "Previous Track" buttons, holding the button down will give you the desired effect.

In order to access the mp3 player controls directly from the navigation screen create a short cut menu item for the mp3 player, with no other short cuts the device will offer up an mp3 button on the nav screen making music adjustment easy - Mike

Well, while the music is actually being played if I click on the TomTomJukeBox shortcut as you mentioned it takes me to another screen where it does offer the option to skip the track etc - but still it needs more than one touching of the touch screen and longer time spent looking at Sat Nav screen - too dangerous while driving actually.

Because to get back to the map display it looks as if one has to press the 'Back' button and then screen changes to shortcut menu and then one has to press 'Done' button - it does not seem to change back to map display on its own.

I checked if there is a 'Voice Command' to do this - but sadly there isn't any.

On the Garmin there was a feature which disabled most menu options other than the phone and MP3 Player buttons while it was navigating - it also changed back automatically to displaying the map after a fixed delay.

Strangely on Tom Tom there is an option to turn off the map display if you are moving above a certain speed - don't know what is that all about and what is its use I don't know - perhaps this is an entirely different subject on its own.

My point is there seem to be a few such useless options while some useful options are missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's odd, the iPod option is in the Music menu screen when I turn on my 740. However, when I connect to TomTom Home and go to the same Music menu, the Jukebox option appears alongside it. I don't think there is a port to connect the iPod to, at least not that I can find. I did, however, read about that option when doing my research. That doesn't stop TomTom from including in the menu, obviously

Bluetooth?

Well, while the music is actually being played if I click on the TomTomJukeBox shortcut as you mentioned it takes me to another screen where it does offer the option to skip the track etc - but still it needs more than one touching of the touch screen

But that's very different from " it does not provide any features at all while used on a journey".
It does.

You said "I need features such as skip a track completely from a playlist, skip forward a bit in the same track etc."..... which it does.
(and Mike was kind enough to tell you about it).

Ask a Question