Playing iPod Music Through Bluetooth

Hi all! Theoretically speaking, if one had an iPod connected to a TomTom GO 940 LIVE via the iPod Connect Cable, and their head unit didn't have a line-in connector to connect an Audio Cable but supported Bluetooth, could one play the music from their iPod through their head unit using Bluetooth instead?

I know it's possible to play music stored on the TomTom via Bluetooth on a Bluetooth enabled head unit, but was unsure if it was possible to do so via an iPod without the Audio Cable. I'm in the midst of buying a GO 940 LIVE over a 950, and this would be the final deal breaker. Thanks in advance!

Apparently it requires a specific ipod connector which apparently is harder to find that hen's teeth lately. Maybe google ebay.uk??

Look for UK based supermod, mikealder, to respond here within 24 hours or less. He knows all about this stuff....

You're right, can't seem to find a iPod Connect Cable for the 940/950 anywhere. Erm... why sell the Active Dock with iPod support then?

What you want is the iPOD cable with 510, 710 and 910 on the packet, I appreciate you have the 940 but trust me the iPOD cable from the x10 range will work fine with your 940 and the accessory mount (How can I be so sure - its exactly what I have fitted in my car) see Here for one such advert - you won't find an iPOD cable for a 940 as the only iPOD cable ever produced was for the x10.

Not too sure about streaming the audio from the iPOD to the car deck via the 940's bluetooth - thats something I will have to try, but my initial thoughts are it won't work. Why not fit a large capacity memory card to the 940 and pu your music on that, the 940 will then stream audio via Bluetooth, your 840 can accept cards up to 32GB in capacity - Mike

Thank you for your reply mikealder, I was unaware the x10 iPod Connect Cable could be used for the x40/x50. I'm not too sure if I'll be picking one up in the end, as just overnight the GO 940 LIVE has gone from ?240 to ?305.50 on Amazon... I'm absolutely GUTTED! :(

Last edited:
950 = No Music or FM Tx or iPOD capability so in your case the choice is made, its a 940 or bust - Mike

I managed to track one down at a local Argos store for ?269.99, ?30 more than I would of previously paid, so not so bad.

What you want is the iPOD cable with 510, 710 and 910 on the packet, I appreciate you have the 940 but trust me the iPOD cable from the x10 range will work fine with your 940 and the accessory mount (How can I be so sure - its exactly what I have fitted in my car) see Here for one such advert - you won't find an iPOD cable for a 940 as the only iPOD cable ever produced was for the x10.

Not too sure about streaming the audio from the iPOD to the car deck via the 940's bluetooth - thats something I will have to try, but my initial thoughts are it won't work. Why not fit a large capacity memory card to the 940 and pu your music on that, the 940 will then stream audio via Bluetooth, your 840 can accept cards up to 32GB in capacity - Mike

Got to agree with this as the Bluetooth conection is Digital(?) which would mean the audio from the iPod would need to be converted before it could be transmitted.

I'm reading the original question as a wish to have the iPod facilities still available, if so you might care to consider:

Car LCD MP3 Player FM Transmitter Remote for USB SD S - eBay Other FM Transmitters, FM Transmitters, MP3 Player Accessories, Electronics. (end time 16-Feb-10 16:30:13 AEDST)

Which is a small FM transmitter that can accept mp3 files from sd cards (up to 8 Gbyte) and thumb drives. It will also accept audio input from the iPod via a 3.5 mm ring/tip/sleeve cable, which will preserve the iPod functions. It plugs into any free cigar lighter outlet for power, and is surprisingly good quality from an audio perspective. I sourced one to try out before I swapped a Go950 for a Go930, which has the FM link capability.

Remember if you use the bluetooth capability on the Go it's not likely that you can then use it for mobile phone hands free use, as I believe the bluetooth link is limited to a single channel - but this may not be a concern.

Cheers

Go930User

That's another good question. Does the FM Transmitter on the 940 transmit music from the iPod to the head unit, or is it another case of it only transmitting the music stored on the 940? I have a dedicated FM Transmitter for my iPod, but I figured if I bought the Active Dock Mount Kit with iPod support, I'd no longer need my old transmitter as I'd have the option of using the one built in or Bluetooth. mikealder, any luck with streaming music from an iPod via Bluetooth?

I will have to dig out the iPOD cable as its a while since I last used it as I don't find its much use mainly because it doesn't charge the iPOD connected to it, in my case my iPOD is my iPhone so I don't want it flat when I get to my destination.
These days I have an iO-Play Bluetooth kit installed in the car that connects to the iPhone and the TomTom and the phone gets charged from either the TomTom car kit or the Brodit active holder, I find I don't need the iPOD lead so its in one of the "spare parts" boxes, will let you know how I get on with it though - Mike

Thank you for your reply mikealder, I was unaware the x10 iPod Connect Cable could be used for the x40/x50. I'm not too sure if I'll be picking one up in the end, as just overnight the GO 940 LIVE has gone from ?240 to ?305.50 on Amazon... I'm absolutely GUTTED! :(

I don't have an ipod cable, but I wanted to inform you of a dirty Amazon secret...

Amazon records what you've been looking at in cookies, and sometimes the prices go up just because you've looked at something too much. Try clearing your cookies, and using a different userID for Amazon, you may get the ?240 price back.

Ask a Question