Phone number bug when returning Bluetooth calls

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a TomTom 930T.

I have an iPhone 3GS, connected with Bluetooth.

It works fine for receiving calls, and for placing manually-dialed calls.

However, there's a pretty severe bug when trying to return a call from the recently-received list.

I'm in the USA, in the 408 area code.

The TomTom formats phone numbers like this, when displaying them on its list, which is wrong:

+4085551212

When the TomTom tries to dial this phone number, it fails miserably. Notice this is a malformed phone number: it's country code 40, which doesn't exist.

A proper USA phone number, fully-qualified, has 12 characters: "+1", followed by 3-digit area code, then by 7-digit local number, like this:

+14085551212

See the difference? Unfortunately, TomTom doesn't see the difference. Since they are a European company, it's not surprising they have little experience dialing USA phone numbers.

I know this bug isn't in the iPhone, because its call list is correctly formatted. The phone number appears correctly in the iPhone. It's just the TomTom that is getting it wrong.

This makes it impossible for me to return calls received when driving, which is unfortunate. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks!

Josh

I have a TomTom 930T.

I have an iPhone 3GS, connected with Bluetooth.

It works fine for receiving calls, and for placing manually-dialed calls.

However, there's a pretty severe bug when trying to return a call from the recently-received list.

I'm in the USA, in the 408 area code.

The TomTom formats phone numbers like this, when displaying them on its list, which is wrong:

+4085551212

When the TomTom tries to dial this phone number, it fails miserably. Notice this is a malformed phone number: it's country code 40, which doesn't exist.
Eh? The "1" is only prepended for long distance / metered calls in most (all?) of the U.S. If they're still playing that game out in area code 408, perhaps it's time to get fussy with your local PUC for not having rationalized the dialing system out there. That the CID is not prepending the "1" isn't a TomTom malfunction. I suspect it's just dialing what it's getting from your carrier. "Malformed" is in the eye of the beholder.

A proper USA phone number, fully-qualified, has 12 characters: "+1", followed by 3-digit area code, then by 7-digit local number, like this:

+14085551212

The rest of us are dialing local calls with area code + number without the "1". Proper?

Eh? The "1" is only prepended for long distance / metered calls in most (all?) of the U.S. If they're still playing that game out in area code 408, perhaps it's time to get fussy with your local PUC for not having rationalized the dialing system out there. That the CID is not prepending the "1" isn't a TomTom malfunction. I suspect it's just dialing what it's getting from your carrier. "Malformed" is in the eye of the beholder.

The 1 isn't the problem.

It's the "+" (plus sign) that is the problem.

The "+" indicates to the phone system that a country code, instead of an area code, follows.

If the TomTom just sent the 10 digits to the phone, that wouldn't be a problem at all. I have many phone numbers that I dial with 10 digits, and it works great.

However, the TomTom is sending the "+", followed by 10 digits. That's weird, and I've never seen it before in any phone system.

Have you tried using the TomTom to return a call with Bluetooth? I'm wondering if anybody else can reproduce this bug.

Have you tried using the TomTom to return a call with Bluetooth? I'm wondering if anybody else can reproduce this bug.

I have the exact same problem on both my GO740 and GO930.

The + without the 1 makes the phone attempt an international call.

This was also the same reason why the GO740 couldn't call a Google POI. The Google POI was finally fixed in app 9.054, but they haven't fixed the recent caller issue yet.

The 1 isn't the problem.

It's the "+" (plus sign) that is the problem.

The "+" indicates to the phone system that a country code, instead of an area code, follows.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying that a properly formed USA number required the "1". I was remembering the days when you still couldn't get flat rate service out there and wondering if there was still such a plan.

Sprint seems to ignore the "+" character altogether on the redial, so a number like +3036523595 has never been a problem for me out here in Colorado. I'm guessing the difference is that you're on a GSM network (AT&T, perhaps?) that is actually interpreting the "+" instead of ignoring it. If so, I can understand what kind of train wreck that would be.

Hi... I am assuming this issue has not been corrected since I cannot make a phone call from my "Recent Caller" list in my Go730. Yes I have AT&T and it thinks I am trying to make an international call. Just curious why is the system putting a "+" sign in the Recent Caller list? and, Has anyone been able to find a work around from internet land?

Ask a Question