Perptual Reboot: Fixed

Hi.
I have solved my rebooting problem. And i would like to share this info.
Make:TomTom XL Live IQ
Problem:Continual reboot cycle.-reset does not work.
Problem started when i lost patience with update and unplugged.

Explored device with windows explorer. Noticed a file with an odd name. By that I mean its name was scrambled, ie not of leters from the alphabet. there where a couple of letters. But the rest was like square letter zero's. in particular i saw the extension also included some of these weird digits and a number. So, I made a copy of the file. And saved to my hard drive. Then I right clicked the file, selected properties. And unticked the file from read only.(applied) Then I used a program call CCleaner from Priform (its free from download.com)(you dont need an acount) and I used the "options" button in this program. And told it to select "include" the file, by using the functions browse button. Then ran the cleaner. Restarted my Tomtom, Then did the soft reset with the 10 sec key press. And Bingo. Fixed.
I tried to just delete the file at first but it wouldnt let me.
Also during this whole episode, the screen occasionally booted to what looked like like a Dos screen in black and white. Showing the verion and lots of info. In that list, I noticed an entry that said
Startup type:.......................Reboot.
Not sure whether its relevent??
Anyway. Im not saying itll work for you. But it worked for me. I didnt want to format the device because I didnt know if I would lose the essential instalation files. And didnt know if a copy delete/ format/ Copy back would achieve any thing. As in my thinking, I would be just putting back a messed up installation.
Its a real eye opener as to how bad the product support is for this item. Especially when I think of the ?180 I paid for it.
I think greater emphasis on not disconnecting the device should be made. And infact should have been protected againt in Usb.2 The device could have easily carried a secont 2 gig chip running as a mirror back-up. The device is buggy, on linux software. makes you wonder how they established such a large market share. having said that. Its my first Gps. And I have to say. When its working, its cool as hell, and just knocked 45 minuets of my trip back from the north by letting me know there was heavy traffic problems on the M6, and re routed me. In fact on route, it found 4 new routes, picking up around 10 mins a time.Brilliant for motorways, showing you the lanes and all that. Well there you have it. Thanks to all who contributed on this one and set me in the right direction.And site for Hosting.
Thanks and regards.
jb.Derby

Adding more hardware costs money, which would have to be passed onto the consumer. Plus, the more hardware, the larger the form factor of the product.

You have now learned the necessity for disconecting the product properly from the computer, meaning ensuring any data is completely written to the flash drive, whether the item be a gps, a digital camera, usb stick, etc.

When in Home, always use the Device disconnect icon. When connected to the computer, use the Hardware Device icon.

Further, always make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents prior to a major addition, such as a map or updated application.

You were lucky and good sleuthing on your part.

By the way, be carewful with the likes of CCleaner and others of that ilk. They'll report .chk files as recovered corrupt files, which they are in the Windows world & offer to delete them. But TT's application is linux based and, as such, the data.chk files mean something completely different. Delete these files and your unit will not boot up.

Ask a Question