Permanent Install Ideas?

Just got a 510 on clearance at Office Depot for $99. Pretty neat unit. My previous GPS units have been handhelds.

I've been experimenting with different locations in my Dodge Ram. I think I like it right up by the rear view mirror. Would be a great place to hard wire it directly into the overhead console with no wires hanging down and I could put the microphone right up there too.

I guess I'll have to cannibalize a car charger to do this? I did not see a hard wire kit available.

Will this unit eventually shut off once the power is cut...as in shutting the car off? I saw where some of the earlier units were shutting off too soon or too sensative, this one seems to just stay on. It is cool how it turns on when you start the vehicle, but would like it to auto-off as well.

Last edited:
the 510 is a heavy unit to keep around the rear view mirror. It would be a nice setup! Good luck.

I like some of the pics people put up. A few sano looking installs, but appears most either have a jumble of cords still hanging or their not showing cords (battery only). Will it still get a good decent signal tucked down near the console like some have them?

The window mount is surprisingly stable, even in my stiff riding truck. I sort of expected it bounce around a little and it really doesn't. It looks good up around the mirror area. I have it right up almost touching the headliner, right next to my side of the mirror.

Anyone know anything about the Auto Off function...should the unit shut off once the power is cut to it?

Thanks for the replies, great site you have here! I'll post some pics of the install once I figure it out.

I like some of the pics people put up. A few sano looking installs, but appears most either have a jumble of cords still hanging or their not showing cords (battery only). Will it still get a good decent signal tucked down near the console like some have them?

The window mount is surprisingly stable, even in my stiff riding truck. I sort of expected it bounce around a little and it really doesn't. It looks good up around the mirror area. I have it right up almost touching the headliner, right next to my side of the mirror.

Anyone know anything about the Auto Off function...should the unit shut off once the power is cut to it?

Thanks for the replies, great site you have here! I'll post some pics of the install once I figure it out.

Some members have decent signal being stuck down.

yes the auto off function will work if you have the Navcore lite installed. Go to your preference menu and select battery saving options.

Okay, I think I got the Auto Off figured out.

Is there still not a way to display Speed, Altitude, etc??

Altitude only works with 3rd party apps such as tripmaster.
To display your speed, just go to the preference menu and select the status bar preference option. Just check the speed option and your done.

Thanks Pedro,

Finding my way around it now much better. Got my splash screen customized, Auto off working and picked up some stuff to clean up my wiring scenario.

Got it all done! Looks nice and no wires showing.

It ended up that there was a fair amount of dead space in the over head console in my Dodge Ram truck. So once I found the proper circuit for power up there (turning on/off with the key) I just wired in a small power outlet. Then was able to just plug in the in-tact car adapter, zip tie all the wires up and tuck everything up in the console. I mounted the 510 on my side and slightly forward of the review mirror. I then ran the mic across the top of the windshield, tucked it the headliner and over to my left side where the grab handle is....a good closer spot to my pie hole. BTW, with the external mic the bluetooth phone deal works great!

I'll post some pics in the Showoff forum.

Ask a Question