PC wont recognize Go520 with 8GB card inserted

zYx

Hi,
as mentioned above when I connect my TomTom Go 520 to my PC, my pc asks me to format my memory card. When i insert that card into memory card reader in my pc, everything is ok. Anyway, because TomTom Home wouldn't recognize my TT Go I have tried to format card when windows asked for it, and it worked, however, there is only 3.6 GB available.

Strange.

Please note that TomTom Go itself was working with 8GB microSD and maps and system on it. Only when connected to the PC the problem appeared.
Is there anything I can do to get it worked?

Thanks.

Hi,
as mentioned above when I connect my TomTom Go 520 to my PC, my pc asks me to format my memory card. When i insert that card into memory card reader in my pc, everything is ok. Anyway, because TomTom Home wouldn't recognize my TT Go I have tried to format card when windows asked for it, and it worked, however, there is only 3.6 GB available.

Strange.

Please note that TomTom Go itself was working with 8GB microSD and maps and system on it. Only when connected to the PC the problem appeared.
Is there anything I can do to get it worked?

Thanks.

Format the card to 8 gigs using a card reader and make it FAT32. When you put stuff on the card, do so using Explorer, not TTHome. The units (I'm specifically referring to a 720, not a 520) can read data from 8 gig cards, just not write to them. So, in summary, **if** a 520 is the same way, it should read map data or mp3's or other stuff from the entire 8 gigs...just not be able to access > 4 gigs for writing.

Also, the x20 models are capable of handling SDHC memory cards.

Shall I format the card manually in card reader even when the file system is FAT32 already?

Anyway, if I do that I won't be able to use TT Home and MapShare updates etc.. Is that right? Unless there is another way to keep my map up to date?

Update: I formatted card usin card reader to FAT32 and 2048 B of cluster size (previously 4096 B) and all works now. I can read and write to the memory card usung TT Home.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Shall I format the card manually in card reader even when the file system is FAT32 already?

If you look at the contents of the card while it's in a card reader using Windows Explorer and it shows 8 gigs, no need to reformat.

I followed this format with my 16GB Card and it works on my 920.

I've tried that one, but the thing is that when the card is inserted in my 520, it won't let me write anything using Explorer or even TT Home updates, they just simply don't work. I got error message in TT Home everytime I want to update/copy files onto 520. The updates via TT Home were working at the beginning as I mentioned earlier, but now it is not working.

Pedro2NR, can you do any updates using TT Home app?

Thanks

So far I've only received a quickfix. keep in mind I just started using the 16GB card since last night.

Ask a Question