PC desktop lock up after Tomtom "update"

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25
Windows 7 64bit, Tomtom XL IQ Routes.

I connected to Home last night and there was a "critical update" to install which was done automatically.
At the end of the process my Windows desktop locked up completely and I had to reset to reboot.
In safe mode there is no lock up and the drive is seen as "internal" but of course Home will not function in safe mode, booting to normal mode then repeats the lock up.

So far I've done:
Uninstall home with Revo and fresh install.
Formatted Tomtom Fat32, full format method.
Installed new video drivers.

Be very grateful for any ideas.

Nope. If you right click on the desktop shortcut for Home 2-->Properties-->Compatibility tab and select XP (SP3).

Do you have that option?

Thanks for replies.
I tried the compatibility option but it all still locked up.
However I had an idea about changing the USB port so I selected one directly from the motherboard back panel rather than one on a motherboard header.

A result, no lock up and I was able to view the contents of the Tomtom drive.
Interestingly instead of seeing nothing as I'd expected there were about 8 files present.
I deleted these and I'm now copying the original backup that Home made.

We'll see what transpires and I'll let you know.

Right, I've come to the conclusion that nothing works and I'm really wasting my time, the device is now in the bin.

Thanks for all your efforts.

WAIT!!!

Do you see a folder on the unit called something like UK_and_ROI (in other words, a map folder with files in it)??

If so, use Explorer to delete the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, and connect to Home 2.

Install the application offered. Disconnect properly from home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?

WAIT!!!

Do you see a folder on the unit called something like UK_and_ROI (in other words, a map folder with files in it)??

If so, use Explorer to delete the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, and connect to Home 2.

Install the application offered. Disconnect properly from home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?
Sadly everything locks up when the device is connected so I'm now unable to see what is on the drive.

Even with:

1. Using the cable that came with the device, and
  2. A USB port on the back of the computer, not the front???

Please don't bin it.
Even if you've given up on it, I'm sure someone would appreciate it, even if only for spare parts (or spare mount!)

Just an update, I decided that life was too short and although I love solving technical problems like this it was wearing me down with frustration.
Device in bin and despite wavering in the direction of alternative manufacturers I went for a Tomtom Start 25 with a special offer for lifetime map updates.

Ask a Question