Pathetic implementation of Mapshare!! pls be informed before buying new maps!!

TomTom Model(s)
I got this disappointing, frustrating info from another forum... thought it might be worth while to share this and see what you have been experiencing after using mapshare....
In a nutshell, if you downloaded mapshare corrections on to your 710 maps, and if you upgrade to map 715, all those corrections will be gone and you will not even be able to see those correction as a downloadable correction for the 715 maps. That would have been okay if the 715 maps have been updated to incorporate verified mapshare corrections.... But it has not been updated, according to those using european maps... so i wouldnt think that those corrections have been verified and updated in north america maps either....
look at these figures for european maps
v710 W+CE - 57,438 corrections
v715 W+CE - 8,242 corrections as of feb 10. Has the missing 48,000 corrections been incorporated to new maps?? NO!

further more, if you have been using the tomtom one maps, you wont be able to download the mapshare corrections made by those with 720 maps or 920 maps.... because the maps are different for all these models....
look at these figures for european maps and compare it with the above one ( the above figures represent corrections made by those using west and central europe, the below figures represent corrections made by those using just the west european maps)
v710 WE - 50,534 corrections
v715 WE - 12,778 corrections - apparently more than v715 W+CE!
the corrections for the smaller map v715 WE is more than v715 W+CE because the user database for that map is more!!!

Does nt that mean if you were using tomtom720 you will not get as many corrections as a tomtom one user would get, because users are more for tomtom one???:mad:

WHY WONT THE TOMTOM GUYS INTEGRATE THE CORRECTIONS BETWEEN MAP VERSIONS AND GO MODELS??? :(
This has been taken from another forum...

My question to TomTom:

Unfortunately, none of the Map Share corrections I had either made or received for the UK were active on this map (and they wouldn't download either!)

Their first reply:
We are actually not sure if you are able to transfer the Map Corrections you made for one map onto another map. We need to test this. We would like to know first of all however what exactly you have been selecting to try and do this.

My reply:
I haven't tried manually copying the files created by Map Share from one map to the other yet, but what was worrying me was if the corrections aren't "shared" between different map versions at your end.
I'm noticing that since using the W+CE map I AM getting Mapshare corrections, so the system works, but I seem to be getting LESS than I did with the WE map, and was wondering if that was because there is a smaller user-base for the W+CE map so less corrections were being made by people.

In other words, do you know whether, if a user made a correction to a UK street on, say, the v705 WE map, would that correction also get shared to users with: a) the v710 WE map, b) the W+CE map or c) the UK map?

Their reply:
Concerning the map corrections being transferrable, this still needs to be tested. We will e-mail you again once it has been tested. Considering you are seeing less corrections for the Western and Central Europe map it would suggest that the files are dependent on map and version. This would then in turn mean you cannot transfer the corrections from one map to the other. We will confirm this to you once it has been tested.

Their further reply:
Concerning the transfer of map corrections, this is not possible as the corrections are actually encrypted to the specific map on which the corrections are made.

So... All the corrections that I TOLD them about on v6 maps and then REPORTED via Mapshare on the v705 maps, and then re-reported on the v710 maps, have now got to be reported a THIRD time on v715.

In short, think twice before shelling out money on the newer tomtom maps... Are the maps upgraded significantly than 710?? ... Some even complain of downgraded road data in some areas! Think again guys... complain to tomtom about this pathetic implementation of mapshare.... idea is good, but please make it work good...:(

Last edited:
That's why some people have been nice enough to check for changes on new maps for some of us who wnted to know if the changes had been made. It seems to me that it's really not worth it to update every time a new version is released. Once a year at the most is what I think is reasonable.

Ask a Question