Password setting problem (XXL 540TM and Windows 7 x64)

I am interested in setting a four digit password on my TT. I'm running TT Home on Windows 7 x64. When I connect my XXL 540TM and press the "Operate my XXL", I receive a message in a popup window that says, "This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device, your device's application version and your computer's operating system." I guess that's self-explanatory -- up to a point. I downloaded the latest version of Home for Windows. It's really surprising if Home either doesn't support operating mode for the 540 or doesn't work fully on a 64-bit OS. Have others encountered this? Will it be fixed? Is there a workaround?

It is even more odd since the unit clearly anticipates being able to use operating mode in Home to set the password. If one presses the "Set New Owner" button on the 540, it provides instructions for setting a password that REQUIRE being able to use the Operating mode in Home with the unit. I imagine I am missing other control features as well by not being able to run in Operating mode. Incidentally, I tried running Home in XP compatibility mode, but that didn't help. Home does run on my computer, and the other features, apart from Operating mode, appear to function properly, as far as I can tell thus far.

Any suggestions?

Others have gotten Home and the emulator to work in Windows 7. The required dll file to make the emulator function may not have gotten downloaded.

You can try uninstalling Home completely and getting a fresh copy. When you try to run the 'Operate my Unit' this tiime, the required file may get downloaded.

All that said, many say adding a password to the unit isn't the terrific safeguard one might think. If the unit is left in a car, a thief doesn't know (or care) about passwords and will steal it anyway.

Further, it isn't that tough to get around the password for someone who knows what he is doing.

What is the (possibly) missing DLL named?

Thanks DHN. I'm a lilttle skeptical that if the Home version I downloaded just a few days ago was missing a needed DLL file, a new download from the same source and same version would solve it (the definition of insanity, after all). Perhaps you could let me know the file name of the needed DLL file and I could check the installation folder to see if it's there. Again, many thanks!

I honestly don't know the name of the required file. It just downloads it.

Call support at 866-486-6866 and ask that they email you the file and ask them in which folder on your hard drive it should go into.

If all else fails

You can try right clicking on the HOME icon, select the compatibility tab and tell it to run as Windows XP SP3 or whatever other option you like. I run mine under windows 7 under XP SP3 compatibility and it works most of the time. I say most of the time because I think the device tries to readjust your boot sequence and windows 7 will tend to blow up. When it restarts from a power up it will recognize the device and run properly. The only time I see the problem is when windows 7 is running and I power on the device and the usb detects the device. Sometimes it works just fine and at other times it causes Windows 7 to abend. I think it may be fighting with something, I just haven't been able to tell what it is.

My best advice is to power off windows, power on the TT and it should be fine.

Hope that helps, just my experiences with TT and Windows 7

Ask a Question