OSX 10.4.9 not compatible!

To other Mac users, your TomTom will not load as a removable disk once you've updated your system software to 10.4.9. A call into TomTom support shows other users experiencing this. (I can still connect to a 10.4.8)

The support tech I spoke to predicted that this will be resolved in the next few days.

I heard 10.4.9 update breaks a lot more than just TomTom. I wouldn't know about the TomTom side of things...I've only got a Mac at work.

Apparently they changed the architecture... for what I've been able to clear up, it seems like the Mac OS had to be completely redesigned or hybridized to work with this new architecture... I believe that TomTom was written only for the regular Tiger OS, hence the problem (and the problem that may have ocurred to any other applications).

TomTom better start working on it, though it's not their fault, don't you think?

Hard to believe a .1 update is a complete redesign (which I thought would occur with the next major OS).

TomTom tech support said that the fix for Vista (Windows) only took two days. However, most companies take several times longer to work on the Mac side since it affects fewer customers. The problem is, unless you know of this issue, most Mac users update automatically when software updates come out.

I guess we'll see how TomTom reacts.... in the meantime, I am lucky that my wife didn't update her computer yet, as there were some POI's I needed to update.

Hello all,

It IS working for me. I updated my MacBook to 10.4.9, and it mounts and works with TT Home no problem.

Be sure to repair permissions, and also try downloading and installing Apple's Combo update 10.4.9 over your installation. That often fixes alot of issues.

Thanks, Scott K.

TomTom One Second Edition v2
Firmware 6.560
Map: USA/Canada v665.1293

Hey Scott,

I'm on a MacBook Pro. I reinstalled with 10.4.9 combo, and also repaired disk permissions. Still no success. But as soon as it is plugged into a Powerbook with 10.4.8, it works fine.

It was working fine for me until the OSX update.

I don't usually throw all the fault at a device that has problems whenever an update occurs. A+B= AB, if the unit was working fine before the update, and not after the updated, the problem is the update... it would be silly to blame the device, don't you think?

Very strange it is NOT working for some. There were no changes made on 10.4.9 in regards to reading SD cards.

I will be updating additional systems tonight, & will post my findings.

Works for me

To other Mac users, your TomTom will not load as a removable disk once you've updated your system software to 10.4.9. A call into TomTom support shows other users experiencing this. (I can still connect to a 10.4.8)

The support tech I spoke to predicted that this will be resolved in the next few days.

I have had no problem using Tomtom Home and my 910 mounts without any problem after updating to 10.4.9 on my MDD G4.

Last edited:
I'm using a Powerbook running 10.4.9 and have not had a problem with Nav. 6.010 and have not had any problems.

Fanchee,

Was there a new release just recently (like in the last day or two?) When I run HOME, it says that "There are no new updates." So I assume, then, that I have the latest which is 1.5 build 032. And still no luck. It refuses to see the 910.

Also, tech support noted that the other customer having the same problem as me the other day had a 510. Is this possibly an issue then with the GO series?

Last edited:
Fanchee,

Was there a new release just recently (like in the last day or two?) When I run HOME, it says that "There are no new updates." So I assume, then, that I have the latest which is 1.5 build 032. And still no luck. It refuses to see the 910.

Also, tech support noted that the other customer having the same problem as me the other day had a 510. Is this possibly an issue then with the GO series?

Actually, the newest build of HOME is 1.5.106. Just go to the TomTom website and download it straight from there.

Thanks dig-flex.

Here's some info from TomTom today, with a possible workaround:

We've been reported of this problem by several customers after upgrading to MAC OS 10.4.9, unfortunately we are still working on the case and haven't come with a solution yet. Would you please file a report with Apple as well?

The problem with the Core Duo processor is that it uses a different architecture than the G4/G5 Mac processors. This architecture (i386) is the normal PC architecture. Because of this, the Mac OS had to be completely redesigned or hybridized to work with this new architecture. Because TomTom was written only for the regular Tiger OS and not the new hybrid OS, it is not fully compatible, so problems like this may occur.

However, several customers have reported being able to connect the unit via USB HUB, instead of connecting it to a USB port. Please verify if that is an option for you.

I would uninstall the HOME app by going into your apps folder and dragging it to the trash. I would then go to your user folder->library->preferences->and delete the file called com.tomtom.tomtomhome.plist. This is the preferences file, and sometimes they become corrupt.

Reinstall the HOME app and post back if this helps!

Hmmm, did you try the usual of repairing permissions? Strange that it works on some intel macs but not others. Mine is a core duo, and not a core 2 duo. What's yours?

Hmmm, did you try the usual of repairing permissions? Strange that it works on some intel macs but not others. Mine is a core duo, and not a core 2 duo. What's yours?

Core 2. And yes, the permissions trick failed. So perhaps it is only with the Core 2 at this point.

I have tried everything, and to no avail. But it is worth noting once again that TomTom has acknowledged there is a problem with some Mac users, and is working on a fix.

Ask a Question