Operate your rider-Tomtom Home

I put my 715 on a new card, and kept my old 675 on another. That way in the odd (really really odd) event I somehow lose a card whilst on a long ride, I still have one.

Cards are cheap.

cheers!

o, btw, got yet another HOME update today. It is now 2.5.2.60

I have had a reply from TT regarding not being able to get the 'Operate my Rider' to work between the pc & my TTR2.
The email response was:-
On your device you may have a corrupt file that is causing the issues that you are experiencing. The solution to this is to completely remove the software from your device and reinstall it again as described in the steps below. Please ensure that you have the latest TomTom Home software installed on your computer:-

You can download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/home

Once you have the latest version of TomTom Home installed, please follow these steps:-

STEP 1. Creating a Manual backup of your TomTom

? Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
? Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by making a manual backup of your TomTom. To do this, please look at the following web page:-

http://www.tomtom.com/3171#backup

? Connect your TomTom to the computer
? Open My Computer, you should see the TomTom as a removable drive, double click into it. (on a mac you will see the TomTom as a disk drive on your desktop)
? You will see a list of files and folders.
? Copy all of the folders on the TomTom, one by one to the backup folder.
? This can take up to 1 hour to complete depending on the device.
? If you get any error messages while copying, move on to the next folder and copy that to the backup folder.
? If possible, please make a note of any error message that occur while copying the folders, and make a note of which folder causes the error message.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in step 1. If you are unable to complete step 1, please reply back with a list of yellow folders that you have managed to successfully copy to your PC and also reply back with any error messages that you receive at this point.

STEP 2. Format the hard-disk,

? Open 'My Computer'
? Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
? Do a full format by selecting FAT 32 and click on Start, do not select 'quick format'. The TomTom is now formatted.
? Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and switch it on. It will load up with a red cross on the screen.
? Reset the TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds, see http://www.tomtom.com/6965 in how to do this.
? Once Reset, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and then switch it back on again, it will still show a red cross on the screen.

STEP 3. Restore the Folders to the TomTom

? Connect your TomTom back to the computer and make sure it is switched on
? Go to your backup folder on your desktop, double left click into it. You will see all of your backup folders.
? Copy the folders one by one to the TomTom by right clicking on the folder, select copy then open My Computer, double left click onto the TomTom drive and choose paste.
? Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
? Switch the TomTom back on.

STEP 4. Update your device

? Open TomTom Home
? Connect your device to the PC
? A list of updates should appear, if not, click on Update my Go
? Select only the program application update.
? Click on Update and Install.
? Once Installed, open TomTom Home
? Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
? Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
? Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.

STEP 5. Run the Clear Flash Tool

? Connect your TomTom to the computer
? Close TomTom Home. (on a PC, make sure you close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen by the computer clock)
? Download and run the clear flash tool from : http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe Make sure your TomTom is connected to the computer and switched on when you do this.

? Once Installed, open TomTom Home
? Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
? Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.

* IMPORTANT *
If you have any issues with copying the contents of the TomTom to your PC and back again, please let us know and state what error messages, if any, that there are.
Please reply back with the details of what happens.

I followed the contents of the email and had limited sucess in that clicking on 'Operate my Rider' actually did something prior to the 'No maps found' message.

I replied back to TT as below: -

Thank you for your reply. I have followed it and have now been able to progress a little further. On clicking 'Operate my Rider' I am asked to set my location, then 'English UK?', then 'Welcome! Before you start navigating, you need to set some preferences... Tap the screen anywhere to begin...' Next I am asked to select Right or Left handed operation, then Miles or Kilometers followed by how I want to display the time. Next set the current time & select a voice then comes the familiar 'No maps found' message. Still no access to the maps via the pc. Any more thoughts on the problem I am experiencing?
Thanks
Pete

We will see what they suggest next :(

Operate My Rider

I have a new Rider 2, since Christmas I have spoken to TT Support several times. As of January 2, they are still working on a fix for Operate My... and do not know when to expect it. They say there is no other fix to the problem.

I have a new Rider 2, since Christmas I have spoken to TT Support several times. As of January 2, they are still working on a fix for Operate My... and do not know when to expect it. They say there is no other fix to the problem.

We complain and they keep it logged in their system for 72 hours and then we have to complain again?$50.00 for a new map fixed my problem but it should've worked right out of the box without having to buy another map.
Damn,wasn't $500.00 enough for Tom Tom?

I am suprised you would have to pay for a map. If the device was within 30 days of initial connection to HOME, you should have recieved your new map under the Latest Map Guarentee.

Its really funny (odd?) that most users have no problems, using the same device, the same version of HOME and the same application version as others and yet some cannot access the Operate my Rider feature.

cheers!

We complain and they keep it logged in their system for 72 hours and then we have to complain again?$50.00 for a new map fixed my problem but it should've worked right out of the box without having to buy another map.
Damn,wasn't $500.00 enough for Tom Tom?

Yes, my latest email from TT is one trying to sell me a new map to get round the problem but I don't have any confidence that this would resolve the issue, email below: -
Thank you for your message to TomTom Customer Support.

One way would be to delete the map folder from 'my computer' and then restore the map from a backup:

To restore a map to your device from a backup folder, please follow these steps:

Note: To make and restore backups, your computer needs to display hidden files. Settings for this can be changed as follows:
? a. Open [My computer] and select the menu options [Extra->Folder Options>Tab View]
? b. Now select [Show hidden files and/or folders] and select [OK]

1. Open [My Documents] on your desktop.
2. Now open the folder [TomTom GO] followed by the folder containing the backup.
3. Right-click the map folder [e.g GreatBritain-map] and select copy.
4. Now open [My computer], followed by the device (TomTom...] or [Removable Disk]).
5. In this window menu, select, [Edit->Paste].
6. Once the computer has finished copying, you can close the windows.

If you do not have a back up to work from then we will be able to send your device to the repair centre and they can re flash your device with the original map, however this is not covered by the warranty. So depending on how old your device is it maybe easier to buy a new map and then you will have the latest version instead of the original which maybe a bit out of date.

Kind regards,

The reference to Tom Tom Go don't give me much confidence that they are concentrating on my TTR2 & TT Home issue.

Operate My Rider Fixed Itself

Along with many others, my Rider 2 would not work using Operate My Rider in TT Home. Today I uploaded the new 8.15 map, and believe it or not everything started working as it should. As late as this morning I spoke with tech support and they said there would not be a fix until a new version of Home came out. Is the problem with the map instead of Home??

Along with many others, my Rider 2 would not work using Operate My Rider in TT Home. Today I uploaded the new 8.15 map, and believe it or not everything started working as it should. As late as this morning I spoke with tech support and they said there would not be a fix until a new version of Home came out. Is the problem with the map instead of Home??

When I try to operate my TomTom Rider 2 from TTHome I get set "current location". If I click the screen or press enter then I get a message that says "no maps found". no Where did you get the 8.15 map?

Last edited:
Home Fix With New Map

I just got my Rider 2 at Christmas, so I was still in the 30 days for a free upgrade. The upgrade was a little tricky, did not work the first time but support led me through deleting files and making room for the new map. They did not know this was going to fix Home, but it was a nice surprise. I cannot say this will work for everybody but it sure worked for me.

If you are not within the 30 days, the new N. America 8.15 version map is for sale.

Also, I found a program through the forum called Tyre at www.tyre.tk Great program for planning itineraries. Works great with the Rider 2, trips upload right into the unit, ready to go.

TomTom has also just released a Beta version of their own trip planner. I am part of that process.

I havnt actually tried it out yet, but it looks good.

Cheers!

No Maps Found

Just to further clarify, before I changed maps, all I could get on Operate My Rider was the image with "Set Current Location" underneath, and "No Maps Found" on the screen. Nothing on that screen would respond at all. And the only thing I did was remove old map and put the new one in, no other changes.

TomTom has also just released a Beta version of their own trip planner. I am part of that process.

I havnt actually tried it out yet, but it looks good.

Cheers!

I have tried the trip planner and it works on the screen. But, I can do the same on Google or Mapquest or Streets and Trips. The important thing for me is to have something I can use on my computer and easily download onto my GPS. TomTom just does not deliver. I repeat TomTom does not deliver! Why the beta? Just get the job done and get the product into the hands of the users. If Tyre can do it with shareware why can't TomTom?

TT Support have told me that before, that the problems will be resolved with the next issue of TT Home. Needless to say the new version failed to cure the problem. I can't understand why, if people are having problems all over the world, do they not come clean admit the problem exists, detail on their web site where the problem lies and have an action plan backed up with dedicated staff to resolve the problem at their cost not ours :mad:

If they don't want to go as far as this they should offer upgrade solutions at cost & guarantee the success or money back. What happened to good old customer service!
Pete

I have tried the trip planner and it works on the screen. But, I can do the same on Google or Mapquest or Streets and Trips. The important thing for me is to have something I can use on my computer and easily download onto my GPS. TomTom just does not deliver. I repeat TomTom does not deliver! Why the beta? Just get the job done and get the product into the hands of the users. If Tyre can do it with shareware why can't TomTom?

I also obtained Beta Tester status. My first thing after "playing" with the application was to send a message through the site asking if it would allow me to load the data to my device as a planned trip.
I figure if they get enough requests they would see that is what people want, not something that they can already get through Google. ...or is their deal that they can provide (along with the route) traffic data if you leave "right now"?

Beta Test

Yeah I got in on the Beta test too. Do not care for their planner, to restrictive. Unless I am really missing something, you can use their route to get from point A to B. Can download start or end point.

I set up a trip on Tyre.

From Florida to NC, around the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles should make my Rider dizzy) into TN, back up the Skyway and up to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway, following the parkway all the way to where it crosses I77 in VA, then back to FL. Took all the roads I want to ride. Uploaded the route plan to my Rider and it's ready to go. Now I just have to wait for warmer weather!!

If they can incorporate this into the TT planner, then they will have something.

Just to further clarify, before I changed maps, all I could get on Operate My Rider was the image with "Set Current Location" underneath, and "No Maps Found" on the screen. Nothing on that screen would respond at all. And the only thing I did was remove old map and put the new one in, no other changes.

That's the same problem I have.

In reference to my not being able to operate my TTR 2ed. with TTHome. I finally called Customer Service( Technical Support). No luck and they are clueless. One explanation I received was that it works for some people and not for others and that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Can you imagine that kind of and answer from Tech Support! The person I talked to was named Nick. He suggested taht I keep trying because the next update may solve the problem.

TomTom obviously has no shame.

TTR2/TT Home

I don't have to imagine, I got the same response from tech support too.

I just called to ask them about upgrading my SD card to 4GB (they said the SDHC would not work), and I also let them know that the new map had fixed everything, and it had worked for someone else on the forum. They said they had heard that from others. Supposedly, they are going to report that to the software people working on the new version of TT Home.

They don't seem to have any sense of urgency. Hope you get a fix for it soon. It really is a nice unit once everything is working.

Thanks for the tip. I got them to upgrade my map and as you said, "operate my rider" now works fine.

Ask a Question