Operate my Device... doesn't work

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One v3
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a newbie here. My problem is that I can't use the Operate my device feature. I get a big error box saying "Error - An error has occurred". Under that it says "Error calling method on NPObject!"

I'm using TomTom Home 2.6.2.264 on my Mac (10.5.6) .

This is a bit of a PITA, as I'm trading a car with built-in satnav for one without, and I wanted an easy way of entering all of my address book.

If there's anything I haven't covered, please reply here.

By the way, if I ask for details of the error, I get this:
Code:
ERROR: Error: Error calling method on NPObject!
in chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/emulator/emulatorPage.js:213
Stack:
0. function startup_navigator("Y72508D03582","8-016-9380-1.framework","37","Latin-1","/Volumes/INTERNAL")   unknown
1. function ()   chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/emulator/emulatorPage.js:213
                                                dataFolder);
2. function ([object XML])   chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/emulator/emulatorPage.js:129
                        this.initEmulator();
3. function ([object XML])   chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
                return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. function ()   chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:435
                    this.successCallback(this.resultXML);
5. function (true)   chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:423
            this._doneCallbacks();
6. function ([object ProgressEvent])   chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:274
            this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Sat, 02 May 2009 11:48:26 GMT

It would appear from your error log that you have application 8.016 on your Tomtom. That application version never had great HOME support.

You should upgrade to the latest application for your device (8.302), and then try Operate My GO again.

mvl, thanks for replying. That's amazing. Do you know how I can update to the latest application for the device? I applied all of the updates that Home said I needed. Please could you let me know.

Thank you.

What device are you using i.e. is it a One, XL or a Go product such as the 720? - Mike

Mine is a TomTom One 3rd Edition (1 GB), (4N01.002.2). The serial number starts Y72.

I'm not surprised that the firmware was well out of date - the staff in the shop had to dust the box off before they handed it over ;)

Thanks, mikealder!

If you have the one 3rd edition, then your application is too new.

Tomtom pre-installed 8.016 on some devices because of American traffic receiver support.

If you don't plan to use the traffic receiver, you can downgrade to 8.010 that supports Operate My ONE, by following these directions.

Last edited:
Now it's properly broken

I haven't done the above process, because the whole thing seems broken.

I used my One earlier today to find a couple of places. All was OK. Then I took it out of the car as we were having a quick walk around a shop. I turned the One off, but I was carrying it in one hand with my phone. Halfway around the shop I noticed it was stuck on the screen with the 'driving car' picture on it. I pushed the reset button and it powered off.

Ever since then, it doesn't work. It will turn on, but then it asks the initial setup questions about language and so on. When it gets to the bit about 'choose a voice', then I can pick the voice I want, but after I select one, it goes to the 'driving car' picture, then powers off.

I've even tried restoring the backup to it, but it's still just the same. Ideas, anyone? I've used it less than twenty times over the last couple of months and I'd be horrified if it's dead, especially as I can't afford to replace it. Please help, thanks.

If your model does not have a reset button, then it does require you to hold the power button for about 20 seconds to accomplish the same thing.

Also you may wish to try the Clear Flash tool found here. Download it and run it 3 times while the unit is connected to the computer.

Hi, dhn,

I've tried the Clear Flash tool, and still no joy. Every time I power it on, I still get the same sequence - it dies after selecting a voice. I can test the voice, and it sounds OK, but if I try to use it, it still doesn't work. It just hangs for a while, then restarts. Please help, as I'm starting to think I've bought a paperweight here.

Update...

OK, I contacted support. They've no idea either, so I've got an RMA number, and I'm sending it in for repair. Apparently there's a charge for this. Warranty, what warranty?

I'm more than a little annoyed.

Actually, I don't seem to have an RMA number any more. Anyone got any ideas what I do now?

Last edited:

Ask a Question