One Year Free Maps for 920T -- Doesn't it Work the Way it's Supposed to?

TomTom Model(s)
920T
I've been reading all of the various threads about folks getting their new 7.15 maps through the one-year-free-maps program, but I've yet to read of anybody who got it to work the way its supposed to work (i.e., via the web page listed on the back of the one-year coupon, which I did find in the box with my unit and which I've dutifully saved). (I'd read earlier that Map Guaranty and/or updates via Home was never intended to be the way to take advantage of the one-year-free program, and if you read the instructions on the back of the coupon it says nothing about starting the process through Home. So, I'm not upset that Home isn't the way to start, since that was clearly not what we were instructed to do!)

That said, nobody here has talked much about that web page or using it. (By that, I mean "http://www.tomtom.com/1yearmaps/") I've tried it in the past (albeit before 7.15 was available, but after January 25) -- The page always responded that I'd entered an improper code.

So, can anybody comment -- Is that page completely broken? Has anybody else actually tried it? What has TomTom said about this? It seems ridiculous to me that I'd have to manually contact customer service in order to take advantage of what seems to have been sold as a perfectly 'routine' offer of free maps for a year.

Last edited:
I entered my code and it said I would get an email with further instructions and more codes. Have not seen it yet and it's been over a week. I guess I will have to call support.

I've been reading all of the various threads about folks getting their new 7.15 maps through the one-year-free-maps program, but I've yet to read of anybody who got it to work the way its supposed to work (i.e., via the web page listed on the back of the one-year coupon, which I did find in the box with my unit and which I've dutifully saved). (I'd read earlier that Map Guaranty and/or updates via Home was never intended to be the way to take advantage of the one-year-free program, and if you read the instructions on the back of the coupon it says nothing about starting the process through Home. So, I'm not upset that Home isn't the way to start, since that was clearly not what we were instructed to do!)

That said, nobody here has talked much about that web page or using it. (By that, I mean "http://www.tomtom.com/1yearmaps/") I've tried it in the past (albeit before 7.15 was available, but after January 25) -- The page always responded that I'd entered an improper code.

So, can anybody comment -- Is that page completely broken? Has anybody else actually tried it? What has TomTom said about this? It seems ridiculous to me that I'd have to manually contact customer service in order to take advantage of what seems to have been sold as a perfectly 'routine' offer of free maps for a year.

There is nothing routine about this. No other major manufacturer has offered a 1 year map guarantee as far as I know.

TT changed the process because it is more challenging than they anticipated. You have to contact them directly to get the map. No big deal, as its a free map we are talking about!

It is a big deal if you don't have the receipt... The unit I was given for Christmas didn't have anything but a gift receipt and the person who gave me the unit didn't keep it.

Per the phone reps, I need to get them a receipt... So I'm stuck in no-mans-land...

The link you have worked for me....seems to be up..I'll use it when I get home to update my 920...

There is nothing routine about this. No other major manufacturer has offered a 1 year map guarantee as far as I know.

TT changed the process because it is more challenging than they anticipated. You have to contact them directly to get the map. No big deal, as its a free map we are talking about!
Has TT officially announced this change in plans? Or, do you have to know somebody that tells you that you have to call them?

Changing plans is one thing, but it might help if they posted an announcement about this someplace.

The link works, but the inputting of the code doesn't work. I just get a message that the code is not valid.

With the updated software for TTHome, the inputting of codes is no longer necessary; hence, the (misleading) message you saw. You'll have to call.

It is a big deal if you don't have the receipt... The unit I was given for Christmas didn't have anything but a gift receipt and the person who gave me the unit didn't keep it.

Per the phone reps, I need to get them a receipt... So I'm stuck in no-mans-land...

If the unit was purchased at Costco, Costco can look up the receipt for you and print a copy. I don't believe any other store offered the one year map promotion.

They Should Not Change the Rules Midstream!

If the unit was purchased at Costco, Costco can look up the receipt for you and print a copy. I don't believe any other store offered the one year map promotion.
This is not a Costco-only promo. The promotion applies to all 920 and 920T units, and was built into the box by TT. (I purchased through Amazon, and I can reprint a receipt and also kept the shipping receipt Amazon includes in the box so I'm covered here fortunately.)

I don't like hearing that a receipt is required, since the terms of the offer in the box itself had no such requirement -- You only needed to have the certificate in hand and sign on to their web site.

I don't like hearing that I have to telephone somebody and fax a document in, since the terms of the offer in the box itself had no such requirement -- You only needed to have the certificate in hand and sign on to their web site.

I also don't like what I'm reading here for another reason -- Everybody has framed this as "If you want the 7.15 maps, you have to call in." The deal wasn't that I get the 7.15 maps -- The deal is that I get ALL maps issued for one year, and that may be as much as 2 or 3 more map generations beyond 7.15. Am I going to have to phone in again if I want to get 7.20 if it's issued before the end of my free year? Nothing here, or in what I can find, explains that!:(

Hearing this, and the fact that the automated system that is supposed to be working here is not functioning at all, leads me to wonder if TT has come across some kind of fraudsters who were using the certificates improperly or the like -- Otherwise, why would they change the rules in the middle of the game? Some of us may think it's OK for them to change the rules because 'There is nothing routine about this', or because TT changed their Home software after the promotion started, but changing the rules is exactly what they've done! There's nothing in the box about (a) calling them; or (b) having a receipt; or (c) limiting this to 7.15 only.

The value of that maps for a year offer is huge, as we all know, so I don't like seeing this -- At the very least, it comes off as rather unprofessional on their part not to have thought this all through before they put it out there for John Q Public to base a buying decision on. I know this promotion was a significant factor in my choosing this unit over competitor's models, and if they are not willing to follow though on what they promised I'm going to be ticked off.

UPDATE 3/6 noon: I did speak with TT C.S. this morning. Their guy was pleasant enough, and took my scan and promised that they'd be getting me the 7.15 updates (which I'll have to confirm at a later time). All well and good, and bravo for their not giving me too hard of a time -- But, it's still not what was promised! He did NOT say that this would automatically set me up for one year's worth of maps -- All he said (and I pressed him on this) was that they'd be giving me access to the 7.15 maps. Also, I asked him what was up with the web site, and why it doesn't work as promised, and why I needed to provide a receipt (etc.) -- He said he did not know. What's interesting is that all of this seemed to be news to the fellow (had to go talk to supervisor, etc.), so I guess it's only a few of us who are on forums like this who know what's going on. Again, that's not terribly professional on their part -- This should be broadcast loud and clear to all of their customers.

Last edited:

A gift receipt will work if the date and item are on the receipt.

Last edited:
This is not a Costco-only promo. The promotion applies to all 920 and 920T units, and was built into the box by TT. (I purchased through Amazon, and I can reprint a receipt and also kept the shipping receipt Amazon includes in the box so I'm covered here fortunately.)

I don't like hearing that a receipt is required, since the terms of the offer in the box itself had no such requirement -- You only needed to have the certificate in hand and sign on to their web site.

I don't like hearing that I have to telephone somebody and fax a document in, since the terms of the offer in the box itself had no such requirement -- You only needed to have the certificate in hand and sign on to their web site.

I also don't like what I'm reading here for another reason -- Everybody has framed this as "If you want the 7.15 maps, you have to call in." The deal wasn't that I get the 7.15 maps -- The deal is that I get ALL maps issued for one year, and that may be as much as 2 or 3 more map generations beyond 7.15. Am I going to have to phone in again if I want to get 7.20 if it's issued before the end of my free year? Nothing here, or in what I can find, explains that!:(

Hearing this, and the fact that the automated system that is supposed to be working here is not functioning at all, leads me to wonder if TT has come across some kind of fraudsters who were using the certificates improperly or the like -- Otherwise, why would they change the rules in the middle of the game? Some of us may think it's OK for them to change the rules because 'There is nothing routine about this', or because TT changed their Home software after the promotion started, but changing the rules is exactly what they've done! There's nothing in the box about (a) calling them; or (b) having a receipt; or (c) limiting this to 7.15 only.

The value of that maps for a year offer is huge, as we all know, so I don't like seeing this -- At the very least, it comes off as rather unprofessional on their part not to have thought this all through before they put it out there for John Q Public to base a buying decision on. I know this promotion was a significant factor in my choosing this unit over competitor's models, and if they are not willing to follow though on what they promised I'm going to be ticked off.

UPDATE 3/6 noon: I did speak with TT C.S. this morning. Their guy was pleasant enough, and took my scan and promised that they'd be getting me the 7.15 updates (which I'll have to confirm at a later time). All well and good, and bravo for their not giving me too hard of a time -- But, it's still not what was promised! He did NOT say that this would automatically set me up for one year's worth of maps -- All he said (and I pressed him on this) was that they'd be giving me access to the 7.15 maps. Also, I asked him what was up with the web site, and why it doesn't work as promised, and why I needed to provide a receipt (etc.) -- He said he did not know. What's interesting is that all of this seemed to be news to the fellow (had to go talk to supervisor, etc.), so I guess it's only a few of us who are on forums like this who know what's going on. Again, that's not terribly professional on their part -- This should be broadcast loud and clear to all of their customers.
You have got to be absolutely kidding. FREE MAPS FOR ONE YEAR. They will have 3 or 4 maps come out $99.95 each,over the course of one year. The reason that you have to contact support is that the TTH 2.1/2.2 software and LMG are not working properly. Rather than delay the release of the 7.15 maps to customers, the process changed, not the rules. Some people never apprieciate the good things done for them.:cool:

i've just tried that link listed at the start of this thread, and well the website comes up.
(i know this is post the TTH update)
But the promo code i have (TT LE) says it is invalid: Why?
because the system has been replaced with the FREE latest map update, within TTH2. -plus the mapshare application...
This is what the website says:
" FREE MAP UDATES FOR A YEAR" - yes is big bold letters....
"Your new TomTom GO 920/T comes with free North American map updates for one year." -simple enough. (it says nothing about all maps available)

I'm not trying to defend TT on this, this sort of thing is typical of TT, but any contract will state the owners have the right to change terms and conditions.
(here's my 2 cents anyways)
When i bought me LE. i also got a voucher offering me "Free Traffic update" for one year...brilliant i though...
Sadly the offer ends at the end of 2006....
err why include it in a unit that didnt come on the market till Oct 07!!?

Welcome to the World of TomTom!!

Last edited:
"updates" versus "updated maps" versus "new maps"

" FREE MAP UPDATES FOR A YEAR" - yes is big bold letters....
"Your new TomTom GO 920/T comes with free North American map updates for one year." -simple enough. (it says nothing about all maps available)

I suggest they would've said "Free MAPS for a year" if that's what they meant.

I bought my 920 from Costco in December. I thought then that "map updates" meant the map updates we receive via Mapshare, NOT a new map version. So, I expect to get Mapshare updates for my v710 map via Mapshare until Dec 18, 2009, a year from when I first began to use it. I did not expect to get a new map for free every time they offer one. In other words, the v7.15 map is a NEW map, not an "update" of v7.10.

Please poke big holes in this interpretation, as I'd like to get "free maps" for a year (I'm already getting the "free map updates" every time I connect my 920 to the Internet).

Ask a Question