One XL won't update my Southeastern US Map

I hope you guys can help. So, I finally decide to pony up the money and I purchased the Southeastern US Map from TomTom last night. Loaded up the sofware and of course not enough memory. Instead of deleting voices and other things, I went ahead through TomTom software and deleted the US Map that the device came with. While it was deleting, I got an error that said it couldn't delete Guam... go figure.

So I went ahead and checked Guam and it deleted the US Map. So now I have a TomTom with only the Guam map.

I go ahead and try to install the Southeast map (mind you I've tried this from 2 computers... one running Windows 7 and one running XP) from my PC and halfway through it says that it can't load the US Southeast Map? Saying that it can't load the (I'm guessing here) Southeastern_US.mem file.

I tried copying the map onto a SIMM card and that completely froze the unit. I let the battery die and it turned on again but I'm back to only having the Guam map.

What, if anything, have I done wrong? Should I not have deleted the US Map that the unit came with? I thought it was the easiest way to free up the memory to load the new map.

I see that some of you say to run chkdsk which I haven't done.... (I'm at work)... I also did not backup..... yes I'm an a-hole.....

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Reformat your unit
3. With your unit connected to the computer, start Home. It should offer an application. Aceept it and install.
4. Your purchased map IS on your computer in a compressed .cab format. So, in Home, Add Voices/Maps and go to items on my computer. You should see the map listed. Click on 'more info' to ensure it is the map you want.
5. Select it and choose Install. See if that works.

Report back.

Ask a Question