one xl use in Spain

TomTom Model(s)
onexl
Hi Everyone,I am new to this Forum and would really like some advice regarding using a TomTom 1XL in Spain.I bought the device a couple of years back with the built in Maps of Europe included,and took it to Spain this May to use whilst on Holiday.I am a bit of a technophobe with modern devices and just assumed that the Sat Nav would automatically tune in to the country I was in ,just by putting it on like I do back home in York.I found the country I wanted on the TomTom,namely Spain and sat back expecting it to fire up and tune in to the area of Costa Blanca that I was in.Well,I sat for a long time and nothing happened so I had to resort to using my map of Costa Blanca instead.Do I need to download the Map of Spain and Europe through my laptop because it seems quite expensive and I thought that built in Maps meant just that,already in the device.The question is ,where am I going wrong and can anybody advise me as to how to use my TomTom OneXL in Spain please,all answers very welcome thank you.

If your European map is just a single map, then the device should cross borders seamlessly. If your map includes Spain, it should have appeared automatically, but ONLY after a bit of delay. Since you had moved your unit a fair distance from where it was last seeing satellites, the internal 'map' of satellite locations in the sky (ephemeris data) would have been inaccurate, and it could have taken as much as 12 minutes to download a new almanac from one of the satellites.

What MAY have happened since maps have grown so much is that you now have to work with map zones on your unit. Home allows loading of particular sections of a full map now that they don't readily fit on a device with limited memory.

Please first check to see what map(s) is(are) now on your unit. You can either check that through Settings / Switch map, or just use Home to see what is installed.

If your European map is just a single map, then the device should cross borders seamlessly. If your map includes Spain, it should have appeared automatically, but ONLY after a bit of delay. Since you had moved your unit a fair distance from where it was last seeing satellites, the internal 'map' of satellite locations in the sky (ephemeris data) would have been inaccurate, and it could have taken as much as 12 minutes to download a new almanac from one of the satellites.

What MAY have happened since maps have grown so much is that you now have to work with map zones on your unit. Home allows loading of particular sections of a full map now that they don't readily fit on a device with limited memory.

Please first check to see what map(s) is(are) now on your unit. You can either check that through Settings / Switch map, or just use Home to see what is installed.

Thanks very much for your reply and info, I think I switched it off after 5 minutes of trying it in Spain and gave up on it,but I will have a go with it again and try to get it going.I think it has built in map for the whole of Europe and Ireland so I need to spend a bit more time with it,much appreciated by your response,thanks again.

Five minutes might not have been enough... and the clock starts after you get one satellite talking to the unit successfully. Any them can provide the necessary almanac data for all of them that lets the unit know what satellites are in which locations in the sky. Once it has that information, it can use that information to compute location information from the timing of the signals of whatever satellites it can 'see'. That's how it all works.

Ask a Question