one xl upgrade ,now lost maps?

Hi had the uniit just over 6 months,went online to upgrade,then it wouldnt start up just froze.Managed with a different cable to fornat install application and the unit works.However I have lost all my pre installed maps.Tried to use my code on tthe box but it wont accept it?
Any ideas as to how I can get the maps (UK) back,only option seems for me to buy new ones?

Hi had the uniit just over 6 months,went online to upgrade,then it wouldnt start up just froze.Managed with a different cable to fornat install application and the unit works.However I have lost all my pre installed maps.Tried to use my code on tthe box but it wont accept it?
Any ideas as to how I can get the maps (UK) back,only option seems for me to buy new ones?

When my maps stopped working, I backed up the map folder (whatever it is called, mine was USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P) on the device (made sure hidden files were on) to my computer. Then, I found the map update zip file (was called the same as the folder previously mentioned). I uncompressed it first, to make sure there were no errors. At that point, I was able to manually copy it to the device, and then through TomTom Home, I was able to do map update again, and from that point forward it worked.

Bear in mind, I'm new here - and I would *highly* suggest waiting for more input before doing what I did - hopefully you have a good backup of your device in case all else fails.

Have you got a backup of the device from a point prior to it all going wrong? if not have you ever updated a map on the device via Home and your computer? - if the answer to both the above is No then I am afraid the only option is to purchase a new map for the device (at least they are on special offer at the moment) - Mike

Thanks to all who replied,unfortunately this was my first attempt at upgrading,and like the clown that i am i didnt do a backup,funny how you learn these things after the evnt.Seems like ill hv to buy a new map,where are they on special offer plz/

First thing - see if HOME has a copy of your map.

Go to "Add traffic, voices..." then keep going to the next screen until you see "items on my computer". Is there anything in the "map" category that you can add?

Second, if the Tomtom is 6 months old, it should still be under warranty. Call Tomtom phone support, tell them the Tomtom's broken and you need it fixed. They have given free older maps to other forum members whose devices were under warranty, or sometimes they warranty swap them.

Ask a Question