ONE XL searching by postal city address woes

Hiya,

me and gf both got gps's this xmas.. only difference i bought the gps for myself... and i opted for the tomtom one xl...

i like the widescreen.
and i love ozzy guiding me.
i also like features like direction i am heading, speed i am doing etc etc.

one of my biggest problem is finding addresses on the tomtom... one of you senior users can probably give me a clue as i am clueless.

I am in canada... so the other day i was heading to a meeting and i navigate to by address i put in city "toronto" and i put in number and when i do street name nothing. I tried a different city name nothing...

i made embaraced a call back to the location and asked them where they gave me the address again and i said are you sure which made me look more of a jackass.

Long story short 15 mins of on the side of the road i found the address is tucked away in a different city which is absurd.

Either way it worked but how are you supposed to know which road is in which obscure city... i dont know whereone city ends and another starts...

I tried the same address in my gfs garmin and it showed up so fast... i was a bit peeved but i am certain there is a fix for this?

i cannot do full post code searches too which is fine but i prefer to be able to say toronto and put in my address and it should give it to me.

Ironically enogh it wont find my address in toronto and i am a 10 mins drive from the cityhall.

any suggestions opinions on this matter maybe some fellow torontonians have a work around?

I assume that your first problem arose out in the suburbs. I agree that it is a big problem knowing which municipality you are in out in the 'burbs.

If you have the postal code, you can enter the 1st 3 characters (like M5W) and this will narrow it down. You will then get a list of streets that are within this postal zone.

What is this downtown address near city hall that you can't find? I'd like to give it a try too.

I assume that your first problem arose out in the suburbs. I agree that it is a big problem knowing which municipality you are in out in the 'burbs.

If you have the postal code, you can enter the 1st 3 characters (like M5W) and this will narrow it down. You will then get a list of streets that are within this postal zone.

What is this downtown address near city hall that you can't find? I'd like to give it a try too.

well this address was at weston/finch ish area.

search for:

95 thorncliffe park dr. which is in toronto. (eglinton/laird south of there... leaside area)

95 thorncliffe park dr. which is in toronto. (eglinton/laird south of there... leaside area)

You have to look under 'East York'. This can be a problem in Toronto, where some addresses use the name of the pre-amalgamation municipalities: North York, Scarborough, etc. This really SHOULD be fixed, as this all happened 10 years ago.

I found a similar problem looking for an address in NYC. It wasn't listed. Turns out, I had to look it up under 'Queens'.

You have to look under 'East York'. This can be a problem in Toronto, where some addresses use the name of the pre-amalgamation municipalities: North York, Scarborough, etc. This really SHOULD be fixed, as this all happened 10 years ago.

I found a similar problem looking for an address in NYC. It wasn't listed. Turns out, I had to look it up under 'Queens'.

hiya,

yes i know that but its hard to know which area you are in when you do not know where the boundaries are... which is unfortuanate as my gf's gps unit from a different vendor does not have this limitation.

I mean i know my address is listed under east york but if you are on the road and looking for address you do not have time to look for the address in every possible city you can think of and still not be able to find the destination unless you know exactly which city it was part of a decade ago.

I think its not really part of a map issue but more of a search engine programming issue that can be remidied possibly by tomtom and i hope soon as well.

I think its not really part of a map issue but more of a search engine programming issue that can be remidied possibly by tomtom and i hope soon as well.

Agreed! But as we wait for that to happen :rolleyes: , use the postal code whenever you get stuck.

Agreed! But as we wait for that to happen :rolleyes: , use the postal code whenever you get stuck.

i have sent an elaborate letter to tomtom so lets see its probably 1/4 day work for one of its programers and its becoming a deal breaker for me as i spent a lot of time looking for something that was in woodbridge but somehow i found it in north york.

i am contemplating if i should return mine and get the competetors unit.

the voices the extra features make it sooo much harder to do so.

i hope they fix it sooner than later as this is a deal breaker for us canadians, and i would be hard pressed to recommend this to anyone.

Ask a Question