ONE XL*S vs 330XL*S

My father in law just purchased a One XL*S and I love it, especially the BT Data feature for downloads, etc...especially traffic.

I have enough Amex Rewards to get a XL330*S but a couple of things concern me about this unit.

1) No BT Data for downloads/traffic
2) No SD Slot

How do I get the TomTom services (weather, voices, traffic, etc) to work on the 330? Do I need to purchase an expensive TMC antenna? Can I still access the extended POIs available?

Is the lack of an SD slot really hurt anything?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
You would need to purchase an antenna to get traffic.

There is enough room in internal storage to add more POI databases.

Is there any real functional difference between the two? i'd much rather be able to use my Blackberry for communications than having to fork out $100 for a TMS receiver. Seems like a step backwards to me.

The antenna-based traffic is supposed to be inferior to the BT-based traffic.

The antenna-based traffic comes only from the local radio station. The BT-based traffic includes multiple input sources, and doesn't require unsightly additional wires. BT-based traffic does require a data plan on your phone and is very finnicky about which phones are compatible.

Also, realize that the ONE XL-S is a 2007 model, and the 330-s is a 2008 model. Both can't handle some of Tomtom's better features like IQroutes which is available on newer devices. Tomtom hasn't released a software update for either of those devices since June 2008 (and has released many updates since) so it's possible that they've been abandoned from a free-software upgrade perspective.

If you want BT-traffic and an SD card, you can't beat a refurb 720 dollar-for-dollar (see neweg/radio shack/tiger direct). It has all the features of the ONE XL-S, plus IQroutes, a microphone for BT handsfree, an MP3 player, an FM transmitter, and the Loquendo speech engine which mispronounces fewer words than the Vocalizer engine on the ONE XL-S. The 720's slot is SDHC compatible, which means it can read up to 16GB SDHC cards for ton's of music/map storage.

Last edited:

Ask a Question