ONE XL-S IQ Routes rebooting over & over

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S IQ,Via 1605M
This is the second time this has happened since I downloaded the new Windows HOME (2.8.2.2264) ("Critical update!")a week or so ago. I got it going again once (by undoing some recent car/POI updates) but now it seems truly buggered.

Plugged in and connected, it seems to work normally, including "operate" mode. But when you click the disconnect (eject) icon at the bottom, the TomTom reboots but instead of asking whether to connect to Computer on the TomTom, it just reconnects again.

Unplugged, it shows the TomTom logo then the welcome image over and over forever.

Already tried the Favorites trick at https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...e-unit-rebooting-issue-when-updating-map.html a couple of times to no avail

I have a backup! From before the last map update I got.

Connect to Home. Navigate to an address. In the city screen, make sure a specific state is selected, not the USA symbol. Complete the route.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?

If not, you can try using Explorer to completely remove the mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder on your unit. You'll lose all your favourites and recent destinations but it may stop the rebooting as the system recreates the mapsettings.cfg file.

If none of that works, then use your backup and restore it.

Done everything but the restore, no luck.

In preparation to do the restore, I just tried to make another backup (manually in Explorer). Turns out the \poi folder is completely corrupted, full of nonsense folders and files of crazy sizes etc. After the map backup finishes, I will try deleting and restoring just that folder and see what happens, unless you have some other suggestion.

I hope my flash memory's not going bad, the unit is less than a year old (bought used unfortunately) and not even used that much.

For whatever reason, stuff gets put into a \poi folder sometimes BUT whatever gets put there is of NO VALUE since custom poi files MUST go inot the specific map folder on the unit.

So yeah, I'd probably be inclined to dump that \poi folder after a backup.

OK, attempts to delete the poi folder are greeted with, "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." Attempts to delete the corrupt entries in the folder also do the same. Right-click on the drive, Tools tab, Error-checking insanely finds no errors.

?? Am I going to have to reformat it? What are the risks? Are there instructions here somewhere?

Have you got a backup of the device on your current PC, preferably a back up that was made using Windows Explorer?

If the answer to the above is yes simply format the device and re-install the backup, if you don't have a back up copy the folders one by one to your PC in to a folder called TomTom Backup, if nothing else a copy of the Western_Europe or North_America map folder is essential prior to formatting the unit, all the other stuff can be recovered using Home or direct links to the servers at TomTom - Mike

Yes, I had an Explorer backup, thanks to being a reader of this site and seeing all the warnings before I had a problem.

Reformatted the drive no problem. Just for giggles I reinstalled the latest backup I just made of everything but the poi folder. Took about an hour which I understand is normal.

Success! It seems to be cured. Thanks a bunch, guys.

Last edited:

Ask a Question